Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Report: VT spawn winding down

Post Thanks / Like

Default Report: VT spawn winding down

Well, the shore spots nearby didn't seem to be producing this spring. Or maybe I just didn't have the patience to sit on the bridge and wait for a bite, now that I've finally figured out how to find the spawn from my canoe!

I've been fishing the smaller inland lakes, instead of Lake Champlain which is where most of the action usually is. A lot of it has been sight fishing in very clear water-- addictive fun!

I caught this cooler full about two weeks ago in a lake where few people fish for crappie. The big ones are 13 1/2', which is a monster by VT standards. There were a bunch more like that that I lost. There were an amazing number of them in the cove that I was fishing. Every sunken log (and there were lots) had multiple nests on it.

A few days later I went back and they weren't spawning in the same spots. I only caught a few.

Yesterday I caught a nice plateful in intermittent rain. Males were still guarding nests, but they weren't in the shallows in any numbers. These were in brushier structure than the ones I found before.

Name:  cooler crappie.jpg
Views: 314
Size:  57.1 KBName:  fried crappie.jpg
Views: 248
Size:  51.1 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Nice!
    Yes, I was talking to myself; sometimes even I have to ask for expert advice.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks absolutely delicious!
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

"D" is offline Super Moderator and 2023 Crappie.Com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice report and pix. Thanks.
    Team Overalls Travel Squad

FISH for LIFE

HUMANKIND......be both

Post Thanks / Like

Have a pond a fellow member told me about, but you have to have a boat to get to it. My grand daughter was here for a week so we spent it fishing together.