PDA

View Full Version : fish finder question

must buy my fish
01-08-2007, 07:06 AM
I was fishing Sat. morning,the guy in the boat next to me was commenting on his sonar showing him 3 catfish, 5 crappie,And so forth. My question is, Is there a sonar on the market that will show the different species of fish ,or was he pulling my leg?

rango
01-08-2007, 07:16 AM
he was jacking his jaws. theres no unit like that available

blankace
01-08-2007, 07:37 AM
I have been known to mistake bass for crappie and stripers for catfish! lol

DENNIS BOWERS
01-08-2007, 08:31 AM
Most Fish Finders will show small,med., & large fish. He was tryin to impress you AND Guessing!!

CrappiePappy
01-08-2007, 09:11 AM
I was fishing Sat. morning,the guy in the boat next to me was commenting on his sonar showing him 3 catfish, 5 crappie,And so forth. My question is, Is there a sonar on the market that will show the different species of fish ,or was he pulling my leg?

with a little "guesstimating" about what each fish symbol represented ... probably/possibly going by each fish's position, as it related to depth/cover. EVEN SO, it's only a guess ... as the others have stated, there's NO "sonar" unit that can seperately distinguish one species from another. Only an underwater camera can do that ;) ...... cp :cool:

Wiskers
01-08-2007, 09:14 AM
Next thing you know he'll be tell'n you if they're males or females! :eek: