Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much to fix

Post Thanks / Like

Question How much to fix

I and two other guys in my church have talked about a fish fry. I'm not shur on how much fish to have I figger about 20 people give or take. I now how much I like fish and that me any ideas.

Post Thanks / Like

I usually fix about 3/4lb. of fish for each person. That is if you have hushpuppies, fries, and slaw. That'll fill up anyone.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Always figured on ......

Quote Originally Posted by Daydreamer
    I and two other guys in my church have talked about a fish fry. I'm not shur on how much fish to have I figger about 20 people give or take. I now how much I like fish and that me any ideas.
    about 3 filets per person (avg) as a minimum. Some are going to eat more, some less, but with sides eaten in proportion (per plateful), that should be a filling meal for most anyone. But, I also figured that ... if we had them, 5 filets per person would insure that everyone got pretty much all they would want. And, if we had leftover filets (cooked or raw), we could always send them home with someone. Of course, if you ran out before everyone got "all they could eat" ... just direct them towards the desserts :D

At some of our post tourney fish fry's ... we've seen 30 people destroy over 120 filleted fish ... average size of 1lb/fish !! Of course, these were Crappie anglers (mostly), and family members of Crappie eating anglers ... so they were "used" to eating, and were there "to eat" large quantities of Crappie Maybe your church bretheren aren't all that familiar with this fish, and its wonderful taste ... but, I'd still err on the side of caution, and fix more than what I thought they could eat :p (if you've got that much :rolleyes: ) ......... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Talking Feed'um!!!

I put on a family fish fry every year in honor of my late Grandpa & Grandma and usually feed around 35 to 40 adults and 10 to 15 kids. My family are pretty big fish eaters too. I have found that over the years 5 pieces of fish per adult averages out just about right. We have all the fixn's, hushpuppies, slaw, white beans, taters, you know. I have very few left overs. I think last year we had 7 pieces left over and everyone was full. Take into consideration how big the pieces are also. If all the pieces are big drop back to about 3 or 4 pieces per adult. One thing I have learned over the years though is most people eat more when it's free! :D
    Crappie Stomper Guide Service
    Crappie Fish'n With Attitude!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/crappiestomper
    ACC Crappie Stix Pro Staff
    Corn Field Crappie Gear Pro Staff

fiddlefarter is offline Moderator Crappie Cover Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Mt. Juliet, TN...Percy Priest Lake/Old Hickory Lake
    Post Thanks / Like

Crappie fisherman eat like coyotes (I think we believe we might not ever get any again or something) I'd say 5 fillets per man would enough for a church fish fry. You probably could get by with 3-4 if its equal men/women. Personally when I cook 'em I eat 7 or 8.

Oh and I'm with wiskers, I always leave extra full when the foods FREE.
    Ya ain't holdin' your mouth right.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlefarter
    Crappie fisherman eat like coyotes (I think we believe we might not ever get any again or something)
    :D :D :D I eat like no tomorrow when we got Crappie sittin' on the table! :rolleyes:
    Kevin Taylor
    20XD Bullet

Post Thanks / Like

Figure 2 1/2 fish per person. Or 5 pieces per person. That will get you just about right in the ball park.
    Have a crappie day!:D [email protected]

East TN, Douglas,Cherokee,Watuga and South Holston
    Post Thanks / Like

3-4 fillets per person should cover it expecially if you are going to have sides
    Speck

Real men troll for crappie (Here Fishy Fishy !)

Post Thanks / Like

It really depends on the size of fillets that you are using. I usually have at least 3 big fish fries per year, and several smaller ones if people ask me to have one for their families. I try to have one in my back yard for my neighbor hood, and surrounding neighbors. I started with about 15 people and everyone since has gotten bigger. Last summer I had about 50 people here. We make it pot luck and they can invite friends if they want but they just have to let me know how many so I can be prepared. I figure about 3 or 4 fillets depending on who I have coming. I deep fry most but also bake some to have a variety. I usually have Hamburgers, hot dogs, and summer sausage on the grill incase some people don't want to eat fish. No one touched the other meats and I ended up thawing another 60 fillets out and cooking.
    I vacuum seal my fillets and it only takes about 15-20 minutes to thaw fillets out. Once people find out that the fish don't have any bones and the flavor of them they keep coming back for 3-4ths. Most of these were 12" crappie and I thought I would have had enough.
    I really got tired of eating hot dogs, summer sausage and hamburgers that was left over. Now I grill only if someone wants something besides fish.
    Everyone always asks where I get the fish from, so I have an album of the past fish fries and the fish and who fishes with me.
    Nothing is more gratifing than sharing your catch with people that can't or don't fish themselves.
    DO-GOODER EXTRADINAR :p

Post Thanks / Like

Of course it depends on the size of the fish, thats why you cant go by numbers of fillets. you got to go by pounds of fish or fraction of a pound actually. For the average, you should figure a half pound per person, with two side dishes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast