Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone been to Alaska?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Anyone been to Alaska?

My sister bought a place in Ketchikan AK and I'm headed up there first week of July. I am going to fish al I can but I have no clue what kind of gear I need or what to fish with. If anyone has any pointers on what I need to fish with. I'll be fishing mostly salt water salmon and halibut but may try to catch some freshwater salmon and trout. Thanks for any info.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a great trip, and if I could afford a bucket, I would put that on my "bucket list". A friend of mine caught a halibut up there that was nearly as long as he is tall, so maybe a fairly stout rod/reel for that. And I think fly fishing for the fresh water fish would really make the trip special. Have fun!

Post Thanks / Like

There are a lot of charter boats to go out on for Halibut, rock fish and ling cod fishing and they supply everything you need. That is the only way I would go fishing up there if I wanted to catch fish.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, charter a boat and caught halibot and red snapper. Deep sea rods and reels, fishing in 250' of water bouncing a jig on power pro.

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

If I was planning on fresh water I would take a Med 6 1/2 to 7 ft spinning rod with good reel and a couple of spools of line. Just pick up lures locally.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

Very strict laws up there. I would do the charter the first trip. Bring plenty of money. Nothing cheap up there.

Post Thanks / Like

In 2002 stopped there on a cruise of the "Inside Passage", didn't have time to fish! Ketchikan is part of the largest North American Rainforest, 160 inches of rain average per year, so good rain gear is a must. Good idea to dress in layers, could be cool, if you're and outdoorsman you will LOVE it!

Have Fun, Good luck.

pescador

Post Thanks / Like

I've been there along with Wrangle Island, Prince of Whales (POW) and Petersburg (along with a few un named ones). I fished for Halibut while I was there as well as salmon. I had a buddy that lived there. I bought a sport fishing license. I also hunted black tails while I was there on many of the islands.

If you are going to do it yourself, a good downrigger rod and reel setup would be what you would want for Halibut. I would say in the 30# line class. We used octopus style hooks. Same rod will work for Salmon depending on what you are trolling. Going with a guide would be great as you are treated to a lot of things you wouldn't normally be treated to and catch but I also understand it isn't affordable for everyone.

Be prepared to see the float plane capital of the world. Also, it is a big tourist spot as that is where all the cruise ships come in ( you will see).

When you land, you will take a ferry across to the main land. This is the location the previous Congressman was to put the infamous "bridge to nowhere".

A decent pair of rubber boots is what most of the locals wear. I prefer work boots myself. Bring good rain gear. This is one of the only temperate rain forests in the U.S and it WILL rain (except for when I go, I bring sunlight that they hadn't seen in 50 years!)
    Temperature might be different than you are used to. Might also consider a couple light jackets (fleece), a sweatshirt of three, a light pair of gloves, and a stocking hat of some sort.

Hope that is what you were looking for! Have fun. It is a great place and will be visiting again within the next year or so.
    I have OCD "Obsessive Crappie Disorder"

Post Thanks / Like

I appreciate all the info so far. I know I'll charter a boat at some point while I'm up there but would like to gather all the info i can to do it on my own from shore. I read on dnr website that there was a good bit of freshwater in the area too.

Post Thanks / Like

Spent 4 years there in the Air Force...brought home a 110 lb Halibut on a charter out of Ninilchik. Definitely charter the halibut...its worth it. As for salmon, just a good heavy duty spinning outfit with 40-50lb line will get you in the ballpark. Id wait and ask the locals whats best as far as bait/lures. I did a lot of ice fishing myself. Couldnt bring myself to partake in the "Combat Fishing" during the salmon runs. Did a bush plane fly-out trip down the Knik arm for Silvers once. I only ended up with one...not many running yet when we went out. Sure was fun though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast