Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Black water in house on hot water side

Post Thanks / Like

Default Black water in house on hot water side

My sister is out in E TX on well water. She is having issue with black water on the hot water side. We have recently put in treatment system to treat sulfur smell and replaced electric hot water heater do to age.

Black water problem was there before changes. Cold side is clear. House has a mixture of pipes (copper, plastic and steel). When replacing water heater, noticed the steel pipes going to water heater are black on the inside. House sat empty for a few years and wonder if this could be an algae problem. thinking of flushing system with chlorine bleach.

Thoughts? Suggestions?
    - dan aka "Fishfried"

“Life is what you make it. Always has been. Always will be.” ― Grandma Moses

PawPaw Gene is offline Crappie.com 2012 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

The only thing I would suggest is to get the water tested, even the cold side.
    "gene"
    "G" Gone but not forgotten!!

Billbob is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2013 Guber Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Crappie.com Pro Staff
    Guber Pro Staff
    Cane Pole Pro Staff
    Haulin Ash Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Check with Cricket George on the oklahoma board. He's our water expert

Redge is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2017 Man Of The Year
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappiepappa View Post
    Check with Cricket George on the oklahoma board. He's our water expert
    X2! George will get you on track!
    Proud Member of Team Geezer!
    Likes TurboDan LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Generally speaking, water is fed to the house on the Cold Water side. It is sent to the Hot water tank, then to the hot water side. I would be checking the pipes that lead to the hot water heater and if there is a way check the hot water side at different places "down stream". If you have Black water going into the tank, then your problem is going to be on the intake side. If the water going directly to the tank is clean, then I would check the tank first. There is suppose to be a pressure release valve on all hot water tanks. You can check the water there by pushing the little lever up. Or if your hot water tank has a spigot on it, you can check it there. If that is clean, then start checking it at the closest place to the tank and work your way out. Ounce you find it, replace the pipes from there and you should be in good shape.

I am not sure of the plumbing laws in Texas, but if they allow Pex to be used instead of copper and steel pipes it will be a lot cheaper for you to play ball. Just for general knowledge, black pipe is suppose to be used as a gas pipe. Galvanized if generally what they use for the water supply, because it will not rust. I would be checking the black pipe that you found for rust on the interior of it and I would try and budget replacing those pipes with galvanized. One last thing, when you start replacing pipe. Put a shut off valve on both the inlet and the outlet sides of the hot water heater. This will help you in the future if you ever have anymore plumbing woes by being able to shut off the water easily to the whole house.

Hope this helps,
    Bobo

ps, if you would like to talk to me about this, you can call me at 918-951-9349. You can also text me. Just let me know who it is please.

Post Thanks / Like

Also, if she is running well water. Expect it to be all screwed up at the moment due to the server flooding we have had here in Oklahoma and Texas recently.

Bobo

Post Thanks / Like

fishfried, go a google search for "black water coming from hot water heater". I think you will find your answer. Here is one link to the common problem.
    "gene"

Solving rotten-egg odor in water heaters

Post Thanks / Like

fishfried, go a google search for "black water coming from hot water heater". I think you will find your answer. Here is one link to the common problem but there are several so read a bunch to see which applies.
    "gene"

Solving rotten-egg odor in water heaters