Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crappie Scales

Post Thanks / Like

Question Crappie Scales

What would you recomend for a scale for weighting light fish such as crappie. I plan on fishing some Tournies this year and I am looking for something that accuratly weighs the lighter fish.

Dawg48

Post Thanks / Like

One idea would be to buy a digital scale. The other and less expensive way is to buy a balance. You can hook a fish to each side and it will tell which is heavier. Cabelas has a digital "lip grip" tool for $49.00.

Post Thanks / Like

I use one of these and it does a good job to one ounce - http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=4328456
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Blake
    I use one of these and it does a good job to one ounce - http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=4328456
    JB, those scales in particular only go up to 50 lbs. I understand those scales probably work ok in other states, but how do you weigh the ones caught here in AR? :D

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bobberwatcher
    JB, those scales in particular only go up to 50 lbs. I understand those scales probably work ok in other states, but how do you weigh the ones caught here in AR? :D
    Just fillet them first and then weigh them.
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Post Thanks / Like

Default Equalizer Scales

Quote Originally Posted by Dawg48
    What would you recomend for a scale for weighting light fish such as crappie. I plan on fishing some Tournies this year and I am looking for something that accuratly weighs the lighter fish.

Dawg48
    These scales weigh in 1/100 of an ounce, but they are fairly expensive. Did a comparision with them against my balance beams and guess what? They were no more sensitive than my balance beams. If you just want to find out your biggest limit of fish on tournament day, my suggestion is to go with the balance beams. They seem to make the culling process a little faster anyway.

I could have save that money and used it on something else like a cheaper set of scales to have just to find out what a fish weighed.

$15.00 versus $175.00. hmmmnnnn! A lot of crappie jigs that I could have had.
    Last edited by Big Crappie; 01-07-2007 at 09:44 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I bought a very expensive set of postal scales that weighs in .0001 and honestly the T-bar that you buy at Wal-Mart is probably more accurate than any scale made.

Post Thanks / Like

Jerry:

You told me my 1lb 14 oz. was a good fish. Were you holding out on Me:-) What kind of Bamboo condo does it take for a 50 pounder?

Post Thanks / Like

I'm with JB. I use a Berkley scale that I bought adout 10 years ago when I was fishing bass tournaments and it works great.It will weigh anything from a few ounces up to fifty pounds. Cost less than twenty bucks.
    To make life enjoyable, you must have crappie days.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast