Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: casting jigs/soft plastic

Post Thanks / Like

Default casting jigs/soft plastic

is it best to use soft plastic with tails with lots of action, like a curly tail, boot tail, ect...
    compared to, say a stinger tails, tubes, ect.. when casting jigs ?

thx,

Post Thanks / Like

I use mostly the stinger tails. They have a lot of action to them. If you hold one between to fingers your pulse will keep the tail moving.
    The love for fishing is one of the best gifts you can pass along

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I think you have to have both. Fish can be finicky. Seen more than not days they want a bait with little to no movement, just gliding through the water. Keep some of both and change up often if not getting bit. Fish will tell you what they want.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Likes genec LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

thx guys for the input, thats good to hear.
    i've been getting them on all of the styles under a float and pitching docks.
    time to move out, and start doing some casting.

Post Thanks / Like

The road runner head is hard to beat.I most always start with one of those tied on.Have had alot of luck with the shad pole ct lately.
    Share the outdoors with our Children.The world will be a better place.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bowhunter63 View Post
    The road runner head is hard to beat.I most always start with one of those tied on.Have had alot of luck with the shad pole ct lately.
    i did some casting today for the first time this year, and caught one on a marabou roadrunner.
    do you guys prefer the marabou or the plastic tails on those ?

Post Thanks / Like

Can't tell you how many kinds, styles & colors of jig plastics I have, but it's a lot. Use to use curly tails most of the time, but as of the last several seasons, the straight tailed plastics (BGBS especially) have been consistent, reliable producers. Roadrunners are my second most productive jig to be casting. I prefer the original marabou, not noticing any increase/decrease of hits when switching to the ones with plastic trailers. I believe it's the blade more than the trailer, that seals the deal with these lures.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

thx for the info. you guys are great help. really appreciate it
    any of you switch out the stock plastic on the Roadrunners and put your own favorite plastic on ?

Quote Originally Posted by Crestliner08 View Post
    Can't tell you how many kinds, styles & colors of jig plastics I have, but it's a lot. Use to use curly tails most of the time, but as of the last several seasons, the straight tailed plastics (BGBS especially) have been consistent, reliable producers. Roadrunners are my second most productive jig to be casting. I prefer the original marabou, not noticing any increase/decrease of hits when switching to the ones with plastic trailers. I believe it's the blade more than the trailer, that seals the deal with these lures.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I tend to use Roadrunners "as is" and mostly marabou ... even trimming the tail hair down some.

When casting jigs, I favor shad stinger style plastics, but will put on a paddle tail/boot tail on occasion. I use Slabanator shad bodies, Bobby Garland baby shad, and Panfish Assassins for the most part.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

good to hear. i've had great success with the ''stingers'' under a float, and glad to hear you like them casting.
    thx for the brands you use, i need to restock.

Quote Originally Posted by CrappiePappy View Post
    I tend to use Roadrunners "as is" and mostly marabou ... even trimming the tail hair down some.

When casting jigs, I favor shad stinger style plastics, but will put on a paddle tail/boot tail on occasion. I use Slabanator shad bodies, Bobby Garland baby shad, and Panfish Assassins for the most part.

... cp

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast