Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Report on 5/30/15; Drifting Again!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Report on 5/30/15; Drifting Again!

After not being able to fish for a week now, due to doctor's appointments mainly, as well as severe thunderstorms, Walt & I decided to hit the Quabbin today - despite the high wind warnings! We launched at 8 am and were off the water by 1 pm today, only 5 hours. But 5 very good hours!

Water temp was 70 degrees with the air hoovering around 74. Wind started off at about 5 - 10 mph but rapidly increased to 15 - 25 by 10 am. Here's what the water looked like:

Name:  Whitecaps.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  71.4 KB

We mainly drifted jigs. 1/16 - 1/8 oz., with 2" plastics attached. Although, around 11 am, I switched to a 1/8 oz. horsehead (skiptomylou tie). This proved to be a very consistent producer. Our drift speed varied from about 1 mph to about 3 mph at times. Our jigs seemed to be water skiiing! But it didn't bother the fish one bit (one bite?) LOL!

We took a total of 95 fish between us today; 86 crappie, the rest bluegill, with one very nice yellow perch thrown in the mix. Here are some pictures we took, starting with mine:

Name:  Rich_1.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  96.0 KB

Name:  Rich_2.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  95.5 KB

Name:  Rich_3.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  92.0 KB

Name:  Rich_4.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  91.8 KB

And here's a couple of Walt's fish (he's a bit camera-shy):

Name:  Walt_1.jpg
Views: 232
Size:  140.3 KB

Name:  Walt_2.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  142.2 KB

By noon, we were pretty well beat with the wind pounding us and the whitecaps growing. So, we elected to call it a day. Didn't beat our last record of 105, but if the wind had cooperated just a bit more, I'm sure we'd have done even better today. Most were caught over the 20 - 25 foot depths. A good day to be alive!
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."
    Likes "D" LIKED above post

"D" is offline Super Moderator and 2023 Crappie.Com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Fantastic report, I want to fish with you!!!
    Team Overalls Travel Squad

FISH for LIFE

HUMANKIND......be both