Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Kayak set up.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Kayak set up.

I have a dumb queston. I have a kayak that I'v set up for fishing.

It seams to me it takes for ever to get ready to enter the water when I go fishing.
    Is there anquick and easy way to prepare my rig so it don't take so long to get ready to get on the water?

Post Thanks / Like

Really... I find there are two choices! 1) Leave all the extra clutter at home! Or 2) Get things really organized at home to be able to quickly set milk crates and coolers right into the boat and go!
    I got away from Milk crates and went to the good old Playmate Coolers! A larger one with ice as a fishwell and then two smaller ones, different colors to hold different stuff... each is a simple tether within the boat for "flipping"... Flip tops are quick and easy and stay put with rubber matting on bottoms to prevent skidding around and cut noise.
    Snag things a lot less with fly fishing and all!
    Carry two smaller ones and rod to truck... come back with trailer when I'm done, so rod not left on dock...LOL

Post Thanks / Like

Become more specific with your tackle and leave the non specific at home. It does take practice so don't get discouraged. Kayak fishing is a minimalist sport.
    "Proud Member of Team Geezer"

Likes Alphahawk LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

If your using a boat ramp there is no need to load/unload anything. Back your truck till the tires are in the water then just slide the fully loaded kayak in or out. Simplify everything and take nothing that will be of no use on that trip.
    Give a man a fish, feed him for a day.
    Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with the bring less stuff approach. I tend to bring too much when bank fishing and it becomes cumbersome fast. If you need that much tackle bring the big boat.

Post Thanks / Like

less is best..basic , one plano box of tackle no more then two poles or rods. small cooler for drinks and something to put fish in. anchor or stake out pole..

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info. I 'l defenitly try some of those ideas. Sounds great.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm constantly going over/ upgrading my kayak set up,each trip finds me fine tuning for the next.I have cut down on my extras,I take a tackle bag,containing just enough lures for multiple species,three rods,one set up with a slip float.an anchor,a stakeout pole,paddle,cooler with ice,and PFD.
    I leave the yak loaded,backing into the water to load and unload.I do have a dashboard,and a crate,the crate holds the anchor,and three rods,and a net if I take one.my seat swivels 360, allowing me to easily reach all my gear
    Likes RetiredRR LIKED above post