Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Finding crappie during a very warm winter.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Finding crappie during a very warm winter.

Here is southeast Virginia we have been having 70 degree days and the surface water temp which is normally in the mid 40's this time of year is in the mid 50's and as high as 60. What effect do you think this will have on the crappie? How deep to you suppose they will be? I am just today rigging my poles with Capps and Coleman rigs and will be trying this method out for the first time next Saturday, any thoughts?

2010 NWR Bash Crappie Division Champion

Post Thanks / Like

our water temps here are in the low 50's and we are finding them on ledges 10-15 feet down in 30 feet or so, yesterday I caught them 5 feet down in 17 feet of water. but the water is really muddy so once it starts to clear they will go back down. I would try mid to deep. just rig your poles to vary your depth. once you catch a few you will know what depth they are.

Post Thanks / Like

the only thing i know for sure is that these warmer winters (and water) lead to much bigger fish much faster. i like that.
    "We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect"
    -Aldo Leopold