Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: First real trip of the season report

Post Thanks / Like

Default First real trip of the season report

Made my 1st serious trip to the lake yesterday with my usual fishing partner. We had a slower day than I expected but still managed to land 4 of the 5 species in the pond, didn't pick up any perch but did land crappie, pickerel, LM bass and bluegill. A good start to the year when I can say I picked up 2 crappie.

I had made a trip there a couple of weeks ago to mostly play with the HB 598 I bought last fall and did catch a couple just trolling around fiddling with the new HB.

Yesterday, we seemed to find the fish scattered around; not really concentrated around the beds like I expected them to be. The bluegill were well colored and full bodied and that makes me think the spawn is not really on yet, at least in this lake. Caught both male and female 'gills.

We did have a bald eagle for company:

Name:  IMG_0331.jpg
Views: 197
Size:  78.3 KB

We didn't see him until he flew down out of the tree and headed for the far end of the lake. He circled a time or 2 then pulled a National Geographic stunt and swooped down and grabbed up a fish and brought it back to the tree and ate it. He was still across the pond in a tree when we left. That made a good day a great day!

I'm going to try to get out more this year.
    Yes, I was talking to myself; sometimes even I have to ask for expert advice.
    Likes brucec, "D" LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Excellent! Great eagle pic.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."
    Likes brucec LIKED above post

"D" is offline Super Moderator and 2023 Crappie.Com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Great report!! I am lucky to see bald eagles on a regular basis on Toledo Bend. Saw 4 earlier this week. One dove twice and came up with a fish in his talons.
    Team Overalls Travel Squad

FISH for LIFE

HUMANKIND......be both