Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Anybody spider rig out of a 18' Targa or similar deep v!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Anybody spider rig out of a 18' Targa or similar deep v!

Thinking about buying a 18' Targa with a walk thru windshield. Would be great for trolling for walleye and salmon when i goto great lakes but i mostly spider rig for crappie in local lakes. Do any of you guys spider rig out of a large deep v with a full windshield? How is it handling 12'+ poles with a full windshield?

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

I think it depends on what the distance from your windshield to the front of your seats are. Some walk throughs are closer than others to the front deck and the front seat mounts. Offers less space. I don't have any problems with my Alumacraft competitor.

Not sure if you are looking at a used boat or a new one. If you are looking at a new one, I would suggest looking away from the Tracker/Targa line. They just don't have the fit and finish that many other boats on the market have. Most of the time, when you find used ones, it is because the owner is stepping up. If you ask them what they are planning on getting, my bet is it is NOT a Tracker. I did a ton of shopping before I bought my latest deep V. Money was not an issue and I looked at everything (including a Tracker). The two deep V's that I ruled out right off the bat was Tracker and the Ranger Aluminum line.

I suspect that the acquisition of the Ranger line by Tracker might greatly increase the quality as well as fit and finish within the coming years however it currently leaves a little to be desired. Find a new "leftover stock" from a dealership. I saved 10 grand off from a brand new current year model.
    I have OCD "Obsessive Crappie Disorder"

Post Thanks / Like

wicklundrh,

Thanks for the reply, I was looking at a used Targa but decided to pass. I have since looked at the Alumacraft Competitor SC and think that will be my future boat.

Post Thanks / Like

91lowe Check this post out. See if your boat looks like his. He is a crappie fisherman. He may be able to answer your questions.

http://www.crappie.com/crappie/missi...oken-rod-tips/
    Be safe and good luck fishing

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wicklundrh View Post
    I suspect that the acquisition of the Ranger line by Tracker might greatly increase the quality as well as fit and finish within the coming years however it currently leaves a little to be desired. Find a new "leftover stock" from a dealership. I saved 10 grand off from a brand new current year model.
    Acquisition of Ranger by Tracker? Thought Cabelas bought Ranger? I thought Tracker was owned by Bass Pro?
    Scott Echols
    Hi-Tek Stuff
    Crazy Angler Tackle

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by callshy View Post

Acquisition of Ranger by Tracker? Thought Cabelas bought Ranger? I thought Tracker was owned by Bass Pro?
    Bass Pro Shops: News Releases: Iconic boat brands to come under same ownership

Post Thanks / Like

Good thread ...... I currently fish out of a bass boat but have been day dreaming about a deep V ..... Like the walk through models ...... Love fishing Lake Erie but hate being limited with a bass boat ..... Deep V would get me out on the big water a little more ( and more comfortable ) ....... But it'd have to crappie fish local waters well.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a targa 18 03 model,I have spider rigged out of it with out any problems. bought it new, still got it, fish out of it every week, sometime twice a week! No problem. I striper fish a lot in the winter time and that wind shield is a life saver! i also bass fish out of it and catfish out of it.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't own one, but the way I see it, is as long as it floats it will catch fish

Post Thanks / Like

Jeepguyjames, yes a walk thru model. i currently have a 17ft Lowe deep V side console, a little small for lake Erie just have to be careful and pick good weather days. I can spider rig out of pretty comfortably. Hoping to go to a 18ft boat in the next few years.

Countryboy N.C, Thanks for the reply, I bet that windshield is nice on those cold days! Thanks for your reply.
    Likes jeepguyjames LIKED above post