Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Harken Pulley Placement

Post Thanks / Like

Question Harken Pulley Placement

Finally got all the components necessary for my anchor trolley, but before I drill, I would like to hear from y'all regarding the placement of the pulleys. Specifically, how far forward and backwards do you want to install them? Obviously, mounting too far up front could result in the bow of the boat catching too much of a wave and I know to install them above the water line, but what distance from the bow and stern should you mount 'em.

I know that different kayak hulls are designed different and there will need to be a tad of common sense applied here, but what say you... How did you mount yours and if so, would you do it differently with 20/20 hind sight?

Kayak: Big Game II
    Pulleys: Harken 290 with 5/8" well nuts
    Paddle Straight and Prosper
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Old Town Discovery 158 Canoe

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I may have just answered my own question! Not long after I posted the question it dawned on me that the beauty of the anchor trolley system is that you can position the anchor anywhere up the or down the "line". So perhaps, it would be best to mount the pulleys as far back as reasonable to allow as many options as possible. If mounting the pulleys too far towards the bow makes ya eat the waves, then just adjust the anchor a tad backwards with the line! Makes sense to me... at least theoretically and on paper... :-)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Post Thanks / Like

go to you tube and they have videos on how and where to place them on your kayak.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by duckmaster1 View Post
    go to you tube and they have videos on how and where to place them on your kayak.
    Been there, done that, and that and that... (kayak specific)

Before I drove the bit through, I did a "dry run" on placement. I'm glad I did because this kayak isn't flat enough on the side(s) where the pulley needs to be mounted. There's a bit too much of a gap underneath for my comfort level. Back to the drawing board!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Post Thanks / Like

Personally, I wouldn't drill a hole in my kayak for the pulley system. I'd attach to the front and rear carrying handle if a specific location wasn't designed into the hull.
    My WS Ride 135 has the pre-drilled holes with threaded inserts for mounting the anchor pulleys. Last resort would be drilling holes anywhere in the hull. Don't drill
    until you get more feedback or do more research on your particular kayak. Show us your final result regardless.

Name:  riggedandready.jpg
Views: 758
Size:  40.7 KB
    "Proud Member of Team Geezer"

Post Thanks / Like

I just watched the installation video for the Harken Pulley, and my first reaction was "no way" and thought about using a length of paracord to tie from the rear handle
    to the pulley bolt hole and do the same with the front handle. I would prefer the flop than the hole in the side of my kayak. You can always tighten the paracord up to
    reduce slack in the anchor line and avoid drilling holes. The only other alternative would be a different pulley than the Harken. If your sold on the Harken pulley, install
    the bolts holding the Harken Pulley with silicone caulking to avoid the possibility of leaks. Make sure you get it on the threads of the bolts too and tighten before the
    silicone sets. Good luck and would like to see your finished product.

Post Thanks / Like

Name:  anchor_trolly1-1.jpg
Views: 1578
Size:  17.1 KB
    This is what I had envisioned for your setup, but would have the paracord attached to both front and rear handles instead of deck loops.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the thoughts to consider RetiredRR, My thought are to use well nuts verses rivets or screws. I've found a fella that did the same setup as I'm intending and he said that he didn't experience any problems. The advantage of the well nuts are "suppose" to provide a water tight seal once the plastic "gasket" forms. I thought about using some marine goop also around the well nuts but found out that is a "NO NO". Apparently the marine goop prevents the proper seal of just using the raw well nuts.

Like Ross Perot once said, "Measure twice and cut once". There is wisdom in much council. Thanks, and yes I'll be glad to post a photo if/when completed.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Likes RetiredRR LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Installed my first anchor trolley in March, so I'm kinda new also.
    Put my front pulley approx. 1' from bow & rear pulley 4" from stern.

My setup looks very similar to post #7, except I put where "C" carabiner is, I attached a 2" SS metal ring for my stake pole.
    Works great & I used marine goop under my screws. No leaks so far after ten or so trips in calm to 1' waves.

BTW I did pre-drilled my holes, let the goop setup for 30min.... then installed hardware.
    Per Hindsight I should have put mine on the right side instead of left side. I'm right handed.