Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Sickle Hooks And Barbs

Post Thanks / Like

Default Sickle Hooks And Barbs

I love sickle hooks.....but I do seem to lose a few fish.....someone said that the small barbs on sickle hooks are noted for losing hook sets due to the small barb.....so, why don't they make them......does anyone make a sickle hook with a larger barb.....I would love to try it.....
    The "King" is coming
    This could be the Day....
    RETIRED LOUISIANA CRAPPIE HUNTER

Post Thanks / Like

Oops....posted this B 4 I saw another thread on sickle hooks.......
    The "King" is coming
    This could be the Day....
    RETIRED LOUISIANA CRAPPIE HUNTER

Post Thanks / Like

I have never noticed losing a fish because of the small barb on sickle hooks. Most of the time the hook a buried deeply in the rough spot in the top of the mouth. I use #2 hooks on both 1/32 and 1/16 jig heads.
    The love for fishing is one of the best gifts you can pass along

Post Thanks / Like

Love me some sickle hooks! Never had problems with them coming unbuttoned, actually just the opposite. Gettin em out can be a chore sometimes.
    Likes Cray LIKED above post

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I loose less fish with sickle hooks than I do with the others......most are hooked solid in the roof of the mouth.
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I've never had a problem with Aberdeens (jigs or plain hook), so I've never bothered to make the switch.

I see no reason why, though, that a sickle hook would be any less effective in penetrating a fish's jaw or roof of their mouth, cause missed fish by their design or small barb, or allow a fish to shake loose when solidly hooked. Any "lip hooked" fish has the potential to come unbuttoned, regardless of hook style. A weedless jig is, however, a little less likely to come unbuttoned from a lip hooked fish, due to the narrow gap opening between the hook & guard. That's one of the reasons I choose to use a weedless jig

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

I crimp the barbs down on all my hooks.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I think the biggest complaint about the Barb is it is so small that when fishing minnows on a double rig. Fish shakes it's head and minnow will fly off other hook. I will sacrifice that for the hooking power of that super sharp hook. Most as G said are buried in the roof of the moth or some other hard spot. I have actually had them hooked to the point on a 1/0 that it actually came through side of mouth and out through Gill plate.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

Agree with Cray, they will hook a fish most of the time in the top of the mouth and will go all the way through the gill plate. They are sharp only problem that I have is it's easy to break the hook if you hang into something or try to bend them sometimes.
    When nothing is going right, Just go fishing.
    Earl Dibbles Jr.