Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crappie spinning rod for casting

Post Thanks / Like

Default Crappie spinning rod for casting

This is my first post but I've been crappie fishing for over 5 years.

Primarily I cast 1/16oz jigs with swirltails.

Currently I have a 6'6" ESP rod that I really like. I just bought an 8' Bonehead tackle 2pc rod and I like it even better.

These are both fast tip light action rods. They're not flimsy like most rods I've seen and used.

Is anyone familiar with these rods? I'd like to purchase another that's similar. Can't have too many

Post Thanks / Like

First off welcome to CDC, I have to admit I was a lurker before posting now its in my blood, lol. I see You are a brother buckeye, what part of the state? ok now for the reply, if you just bought the pole You like and want another, why not buy from the same vendor? although it is known that CDC members try to purchase from CDC supporters when possible.

Post Thanks / Like

I have an Okuma 7'6", Bass Pro Micro lite, and a couple of B&M poles that I really love for different types of fishing. Lots of great vendors support Crappie.com. Welcome aboard from North Alabama
    The love for fishing is one of the best gifts you can pass along

Post Thanks / Like

I own several st croix rods in a light/fast action or a med light/extra fast action that I'm really pleased with ...... Premier - rage - pan fish - eyecon - series all worth a look. ( personally have all listed ) the med light / extra fast rage rods a little to stiff for my taste ( perfect drop shot rod though ) .... The eyecon light/fast is prob my fav

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

to Crappie.com

I use the ESP 6'6" PowerLite for my primary jig casting rod ... the ESP 5'6" UL rod for dock shooting (I was a field tester for ESP's designer/Marketing VP). I liked the rods so much that I used them to replace the rods I had been using.

If I need to go to a 8' rod for casting, slip float fishing, etc. then I use the 8' BnM Duckworth FnF rod (I was a field tester for BnM, for this model rod). Prior to these, I had no rods over 7' long.

I believe Grizzly Jigs is the cheapest place to get a ESP rod, provided they have the model you want in stock. ESP rods are listed in their catalog (2014) but not on their website.

Like you, I prefer the fast action tip over the parabolic bend of some IM6 rods. My ESP PowerLite replaced a 7' Sam Heaton Signature Series rod, because of the difference in actions (bends). I generally cast a 1/16oz jig head with 1.5" - 2" plastics.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

I really like the ESP rod that I have which is the same that you have CrappiePappy. The thing that I don't like about it are the slip rings. I prefer to have a reel seat. Other than that it was my go to rod until I bought the Bonehead rod.

The thing that I don't like about the Bonehead rod is how the fore grip and reel seat are placed. After using it for a couple days in a row my thumb was extremely sore. I'm not trying to cry or complain but it was enough to distract me from catching more crappie. I still ended up catching a lot though

I'd even go custom if I could just get exactly what I want. Is it possible to locate that Bonehead blank or even the ESP blank? I have a guy that can build me a nice rod or I'd be happy to go with someone on this site.

Tom 513 I'm in Northwest Ohio. My home water is Lake Erie on the West end. I'm by Oak Harbor.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Lundfish ... I don't just use the rings, I tape the reel/rings to the graphite handle. I actually prefer the rings over a fixed reel seat, because I can more easily balance a reel on the handle, than with a fixed reel seat. I currently have a Shimano Aero 1000 reel on my ESP PowerLite, and it balances very well. But, if the reel should get damaged/broken, I could adjust the reel/rings position and balance another reel of a different size/weight, very easily.

My rod/reel : (notice the blue elec tape around the reel foot)

Name:  Imported Photos 00038.jpg
Views: 1037
Size:  31.1 KB

Just a little FYI side note : If you don't happen to like the "poodle tail" (extended handle) of the 6'6" PowerLite, then go to the 6' PowerLite ... the blank length, from handle to tip, is the same length for both rods. The extra 6" of length of the 6'6" model is the "poodle tail" extension (for hookset/fighting leverage).

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

I have a friend who just assembled a rod for me that I will use mostly for crappie. Its a MHX blanks, salmon - steelhead., med. light with fast tip. 8'6" long , with micro wave guides. I love it. Cast it far and smooth, light as a feather and very sensitive. I will also use it for salmon when visiting the wifes relatives in Wisc. if the fall.
    Philippians 4; 13, I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by glasseyes View Post
    I have a friend who just assembled a rod for me that I will use mostly for crappie. Its a MHX blanks, salmon - steelhead., med. light with fast tip. 8'6" long , with micro wave guides. I love it. Cast it far and smooth, light as a feather and very sensitive. I will also use it for salmon when visiting the wifes relatives in Wisc. if the fall.
    I'm sure that blank will work nice. I just cannot imagine using a steelhead rod for salmon. Of course if that's called for salmon that might be a different story. I have a Raven rod rated for 15lb line on my center pin and am almost undergunned. We put the wrench to them if we can so they don't go into logs. I must say I'd much rather fish for river salmon than crappie

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lundfish View Post
    I'm sure that blank will work nice. I just cannot imagine using a steelhead rod for salmon. Of course if that's called for salmon that might be a different story. I have a Raven rod rated for 15lb line on my center pin and am almost undergunned. We put the wrench to them if we can so they don't go into logs. I must say I'd much rather fish for river salmon than crappie
    not sure why not ? . the blanks were listed as being for Salmon and steelhead both. the rod is rated for 4-8 lb. test line. I have caught salmon on same type of rod casting spoons and believe me its a blast. I also have same MHX rod in med. action with fast tip I use for casting jerk baits in winter for saugeye fishing our local lakes at night and this rod is also for salmon steelhead.
    Philippians 4; 13, I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast