Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Crawlers

Post Thanks / Like

Default Crawlers

It's Jan 5th and I was just outside grabbing nightcrawlers. This global warming thing is great. There are crawlers piled up 3 high. Got 5 dozen in about 20 minutes time.

Of course next week, winter comes back and those poor crawlers better start digging deep!

Wish I knew how to keep crawlers alive until this spring and summer. Anyone know how to do that?

Post Thanks / Like

you have a pm

Post Thanks / Like

break up the ground about 5ft by 5ft get the dirt all nice and loose. then put a piece of plastic over it and then cover that with a piece of plywood. then cover that with more dirt. you have to always put dirt back on the plywood but you'll have worms year around.
    fighting for this country(it can't always be someone ELSE'S SON)
    keep on fishin

Post Thanks / Like

Go to the tropical fish store and ask for one of the styrafoam shipping containers used for shipping the tropical fish. Then purchase some organic potting soil and fill the shipping container 4/5 full. Dump the crawlers on top and cover with the lid. Lid fits tight so no crawlers can get out. In a day or two, whatever worms remain on top are probably dead or not healthy, best to throw them away. Best place to keep them is a refrigerator but if that is not available, just keep in a cold or cool place. Feed them some chicken laying mash. Just put a couple lines of food from one end to the other on top of the dirt. Do not mix in with the dirt. Check daily or every other day and replace laying mash as it is eaten. When the spring comes, you will have some fat and health worms. Good Luck, Pop

Post Thanks / Like

You can purchase a crawler system a BPS I believe.
    Tim
    Ohio State Board moderator
    www.easternbuckeyecrappieclub.com
    or [email protected]
    NAFC Life Member

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pop
    Go to the tropical fish store and ask for one of the styrafoam shipping containers used for shipping the tropical fish. Then purchase some organic potting soil and fill the shipping container 4/5 full. Dump the crawlers on top and cover with the lid. Lid fits tight so no crawlers can get out. In a day or two, whatever worms remain on top are probably dead or not healthy, best to throw them away. Best place to keep them is a refrigerator but if that is not available, just keep in a cold or cool place. Feed them some chicken laying mash. Just put a couple lines of food from one end to the other on top of the dirt. Do not mix in with the dirt. Check daily or every other day and replace laying mash as it is eaten. When the spring comes, you will have some fat and health worms. Good Luck, Pop
    Would corn meal work instead of the chicken mash?

Also how wet should the soil be?
    Last edited by jhaiken; 01-06-2007 at 04:34 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jhaiken
    Would corn meal work instead of the chicken mash?

Also how wet should the soil be?
    I always heard it would, but I've never had a worm bed, so I don't know from experience.

Post Thanks / Like

i put a container of crawlers bought insept in the fridge and they were still alive last week. i didnt do anything but let them sit in there.

Post Thanks / Like

I do worm composting and have kept crawlers alive for months. Three of the post have it right on. You can put them in the coolest part of a refrigerator for a long time or you can feed them lightly, always thinly on top, and they will do very well. You can create a home for them with the yard setup, but I add shredded cardboard and leaves to the in-ground system. The temperature should be cool even if you feed them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bama647
    i put a container of crawlers bought insept in the fridge and they were still alive last week. i didnt do anything but let them sit in there.
    I put some in the fridge one time (I didn't feed them) and I'm not sure how long I kept them, but they looked more like red worms when I finally took them fishing.:D

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast