Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to catch crappie after the spawn

Post Thanks / Like

Default How to catch crappie after the spawn

What do y'all do to catch crappie after the spawn and they pulled out of the shallows? I know a lot of people troll but that's not an option for me as I'm fishing out of a bullet with a worked 300 on it so extended idling is not good because it will foul the plugs.

Post Thanks / Like

I find them under docks and boat houses after spawn. Brush and timber on the edges of channels are good too. They are staging up getting ready to head to deeper water. Docks and boat houses hold fish all year long but right after spawn they seem to hold there in abundance. Especially those that are quiet and don't have anything going on. Those that have spider webs on them are good places to start.
    The love for fishing is one of the best gifts you can pass along

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't even use my Merc 90 to troll with !! Best option would be to just use your trolling motor, if you want to troll jigs or cranks out in open water.

I generally start casting jigs to blowdowns that extend into 15+ feet of water, brushpiles in the 12-18ft depths, spider rig jigs/plastics or jigs/plastics/minnow rigs around those brushpiles, longline troll jigs or Roadrunners @ 0.5-0.8mph in the 12-15ft depths (early) and then *pull cranks @ 1.8mph during the heat of the day. (* meaning I would pull cranks if I was equipped to do so)
    Shooting docks is another option, if the lake has an abundance of them. Stationary docks (on poles) are the best, but floating docks can be fished (they're just a little more difficult).

Water temps, thermocline setup depth, and the depth and activity/movement of Shad schools will determine what depth the Crappie will suspend at ... while weather conditions & changes will determine what mood the fish will be in.

Fishing at night, under lights, is another option when the daytime heat is too much for comfortable fishing.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the tips guys, have any of y'all ever used a drop shot for them. I do it bass fishing and it looks like it could be useful for deep crappie with maybe a minnow or a little grub. I'm looking for single rod tips as i like to feel that thump and then set the hook.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Trapper13 View Post
    Thanks for the tips guys, have any of y'all ever used a drop shot for them. I do it bass fishing and it looks like it could be useful for deep crappie with maybe a minnow or a little grub. I'm looking for single rod tips as i like to feel that thump and then set the hook.
    Personally, I have not used a "drop shot" setup to fish for Crappie. But, ask this question on the Main Message forum and you should get some answers, as I know there are others that have & do use this technique.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Trapper; There are a lot of videos on youtube about drop shotting summertime crappie. Here is one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57xQQ7vP-y4
    Be safe and good luck fishing

Post Thanks / Like

I've been catching mine using Caps & Colman rigs. They are easy to store when made up ahead of time and work well with minners or jigs.
    Every day is a holiday and every meal is a picnic.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks again guys, I'm gonna have to get out there and get after them and let the fish tell me what they want. I'm sure it want be any different than bass fishing just different techniques.

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Try casting and counting down jigs around brush piles if there is any.
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Post Thanks / Like

How about in 85 Degree Water...? They are Not Biting, out in the Lake in My Honey hole...Go to the Docks..? I'm usually in 10-12 ft water...Stained water, brown...FL lakes..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast