Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Jig colors

slabtroller Guest

Default Jig colors

What color jig heads seem to work best back east during the spring/summer months?

Post Thanks / Like

Not to sure about spring/summer, just started using painted jig heads. But orange heads have pretty good with something chartruse in the jig. If I am throwing a jig that does not have chartruse in it, I use a that color as my head. Been fishing dirty/muddy water for about 2 months now. I also put sticker eyes on my jighead, and put a coat of clear gloss over them.
    Ted
    Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night will keep me from crappie fishing!
    2010 Lake of the Ozarks Super Slab Champion

Post Thanks / Like

In Carolina chartreuse seems to be the dominant color of choice - will also use whites and a lime green color
    with my mind on crappie and crappie on my mind -
    and if ya'll see Goober later tellem I said duh huh - he'll know what ya mean!!!!!!!!

slabtroller Guest

Chartreuse seems to be a dominant color everywhere. We have better luck with a chrome head I think but the lead is slight. A flag red seems to be next in line out here.
    Yellow and white used to be my fav's when I lived in IN but they plain don't work out west.

chaunc is offline 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I do best with an unpainted head, diffrent color bodies, and crappie nibbles.

slabtroller Guest

My partner and I have started using a color called florochromatic with pretty good results. Does anyone use them back east? I've only found them in a few local baits so far. The interesting thing about them is they look almost like chrome until you put a black light to them. They then flourese in yellows and greens.
    Until now we mostly used red or plain old lead heads.

Never have had any luck with oranges and yellows.

Post Thanks / Like

I perfer a black/chartruse or white tubes with an insert jig head up here in the NW tipped with crappie niblets or "Gulp" Magets.
    Last edited by Kokanee King; 01-03-2005 at 09:50 PM.
    To land one of my crappie i need a gaff and a .22 pistal :D

Post Thanks / Like

99% of the time i use unpainted heads but have used chart. and orange heads and both seemed to work pretty well.
    "Give me crappie, or give me death"

Post Thanks / Like

Default Jig colors.

Too many variables get one confused. I think the head color is for the fisherman. I don't think the crappie cares.
    That said if I am using a black/ red tube or tripple ripple I will probably use a black headed jig. If I were using a red body tube with chartruse tail, I would probably use a red jig. In other words match the jig color with the tube or plastic body color.
    I have never noticed any differnce in the catch rate when using a plain head or a colored head when using plastic on a jig.
    If I am using a jig with a minnow ( the only reason I would put a minnow on a jig with no plastic is to provide added color) I use a red or pink head.
    I have noticed a differnce in the catch rate when I use a red head plain jig tipped with a minnow vs a hook tipped with a minnow. Some days the jig will out perform the plain rig and some days the opposite is true.
    I am sure some folks swear by a certain color head and on days when the fishing is tough who can say what small variation may make a difference.