Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: High water crappie "how to"

Scrapper is offline Crappie Wall Hanger II - Moderator Mechanics forum
    Post Thanks / Like

Default High water crappie "how to"

As in many places right now, our lakes and ponds are WWAAAYYY up. Took one of my boys fishing last night and caught one...in the top of a gum tree...lol. We are having fits trying to find crappie lately. Few here and there. No pattern or places they are held up.

Question is, how do you deal with high water/lots of rain? Personal experiences...things you do to deal with it...where do you find them normally?? lol.

Not asking for your secret...just a place to start. More rain coming with no end in site so our water will get back to normal...but would love to find some fish!

Thanks guys!!
    "But if serving the Lord seems undesirable to you, then choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve, whether the gods your ancestors served beyond the Euphrates, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land you are living. But as for me and my household, we will serve the Lord.” Joshua 25:15

Post Thanks / Like

I find the fish in the same water areas of my lake but they are holding at the same depth they were before the water rises. Right now the fish are holding at 8-10 feet around structure. If the water is up 5 feet then I fish anywhere from 8-15 feet down. I found the fish are fidgety with the new rush of water but still hold to their structure. They want a moving jig too. The main creek channels into the lake are shallow and the crappie are back to holding on deeper structure after the spawn.
    USAF Retired and fishing!

Post Thanks / Like

My lake is very muddy too....Lake Jacksonville in East Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Scrapper View Post
    As in many places right now, our lakes and ponds are WWAAAYYY up. Took one of my boys fishing last night and caught one...in the top of a gum tree...lol. We are having fits trying to find crappie lately. Few here and there. No pattern or places they are held up.

Question is, how do you deal with high water/lots of rain? Personal experiences...things you do to deal with it...where do you find them normally?? lol.

Not asking for your secret...just a place to start. More rain coming with no end in site so our water will get back to normal...but would love to find some fish!

Thanks guys!!

Post Thanks / Like

If you are post-spawn, try finding shad or schools of fry. Crappies will try to chase/eat anything right now to get fed.