Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: To cover or not??

Post Thanks / Like

Question To cover or not??

I am taking my boat on a long road trip (hundreds of miles) and wanted to know if I should cover it for the trip or leave it uncovered? I have a traveling cover, but I hate the way it balloons up in the back when traveling. understand that covering it should reduce some of the drag, however, if the thing balloons up then it defeats the purpose. I have tried to tie the thing down with extra line, but I must be doing it wrong. What say you boat-haulers???? Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

I had a custom cover made by one of our local shops here and they recommended that I not tow it covered. They said even the slightest loose point could start flapping and cause a tear which could spread to a bigger rip. So I never did, but I see a lot of folks doing it. After what it cost to have it made from Sunbrella material, I did not want to take the chance.
    Mark 1:17 ...I will make you fishers of men

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Read a couple of articles from the pros. They say better to not pull with cover on. Fuel milage is affected, more drag, can rub on paint or gel coat, plus what SeaRay said about it getting loose and tearing.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Likes wannabe fisherman LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cray View Post
    Read a couple of articles from the pros. They say better to not pull with cover on. Fuel milage is affected, more drag, can rub on paint or gel coat, plus what SeaRay said about it getting loose and tearing.
    that's what I've been told also.
    smiles are contagious, spread them around
    Proud Member of the ZIPPER Club
    & Team Geezer

Post Thanks / Like

I suppose if you have all things of importance locked up/tied down, and you don't care about the wind/weather affecting anything left out in the boat, then don't cover it. I for one like to have mine covered when I travel long distances. Too much stuff of value and not enough places to put it out of sight. Just sayin.

Life has many choices, eternity has two...choose wisely.
    Unapplied biblical truth is like unapplied paint...how many gallons do you have sittin' around? U.D.

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I would just cover mine when it was parked in my yard or at a hotel. I did not tow it covered because I did not trust the tie downs and did not want it to blow off and cause any accidents. Just my opinion. Besides, I had a good looking boat and wanted others to see it.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Likes wannabe fisherman LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by yankee doodler View Post
    I suppose if you have all things of importance locked up/tied down, and you don't care about the wind/weather affecting anything left out in the boat, then don't cover it. I for one like to have mine covered when I travel long distances. Too much stuff of value and not enough places to put it out of sight. Just sayin.
    I am with doodler, I ALWAYS travel covered. As far as fuel mileage I dont see that, I get 15 or 16 when pulling my rig down from 17 or 18. If your cover is ballooning then it must not be on right or something.
    1990 Stratos 285 Pro 200 HP Merc
    SpyderLok Rod Holders
    Proud Member of Team Watch The Finger!!!
    (662) 458-8925

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Luv2Fsh View Post
    I am taking my boat on a long road trip (hundreds of miles) and wanted to know if I should cover it for the trip or leave it uncovered? I have a traveling cover, but I hate the way it balloons up in the back when traveling. understand that covering it should reduce some of the drag, however, if the thing balloons up then it defeats the purpose. I have tried to tie the thing down with extra line, but I must be doing it wrong. What say you boat-haulers???? Thanks
    Funny this comes up...... I ALWAYS have transported my boat with a cover ALWAYS! 2weeks ago I was driving east to west, and there was about a 20mph north wind. When I got out from behind a wooded area and into a fielded area the wind ripped my boat cover off the back of the boat and it flapped about 4 times before I got stopped. I thought no biggie, It only caused a small rip in the cover......but what it did do was break 5 of my 8 BRAND new BNM PST's. They have only been used 2 times before this. That sucked!!! Insurance would have covered it but the deductable would have been about the same as what I was out of pocket replacing them so I opted not to use my insurance. Boy I was sick though!!! hahaha

Post Thanks / Like

I too have a custom cover for my new boat. It is specifically built to be towed down the road. It is open in the back (by the motor) as well as an air vent.

You really need to pay attention to what the manufacturer intended the cover be used for. The new ones have ratchet style tie downs, air vents front and rear, and so on. Mine was built by a company in Michigan and they stand behind it against any rips and tears. I didn't spend $500 bucks on a cover for it to look pretty sitting at home... I have a barn or a garage to keep it in.

I'm with doodler. I have tons of storage in my boat that can be locked. But I also have 3 grand worth of electronics. It only takes a second for someone to steal them while your at a gas station. Yes, I could take them off when I travel, but I don't want to go through the hassle.

As for Gas mileage: I've towed my 18 footer covered and uncovered. I get better fuel mileage with it covered. No need to do the math, it shows the economy on my computer in my truck.

I guess it comes down to what you are trying to accomplish and what kind of cover you have.
    I have OCD "Obsessive Crappie Disorder"
    Likes "D" LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, what Rich says about the cover being designed for your boat and for towing is important. I looked at a lot of covers from a lot of places before I just ordered it directly from Tracker for my specific boat. I will make a BIG difference in how it performs.

Life has many choices, eternity has two...choose wisely.
    Unapplied biblical truth is like unapplied paint...how many gallons do you have sittin' around? U.D.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast