Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 24 volt Question

Post Thanks / Like

Default 24 volt Question

Hey Guys,

Having stumbled upon an unbelievable deal last night....... Minn-Kota Edge 70 Foot Control for $229.00 Brand New. I now find I need to convert from 12 volt trolling to 24 volts.

I have a 2003 Trition 1653SS Stick stearing, I added another trolling motor battery last year for a spare, so I will wire these together in a series for 24 volts, but my questions are:

1. Will I need to replace the wire(s) running from the batteries up to the motor connector?

2. I want to put an On-Board charging system in my boat, will I need to get a 3 bank charger to do both trolling batteries and my cranking battery, or since the trollers are conneted in series can I get away with a 2 bank system?

3. Do 24 volt systems use less power from the batteries......... i.e will I regret giving up my spare full battery during a long day of fishing?

4. Have I used up all my luck getting the deal of the century on my new Minn-Kota?

Thanks guys........... oh they only had the one so I could not get anymore........sorry.

john
    Chuck the aggrivating stuff.......... Just go Fishing!

Post Thanks / Like

The wires should be big enough. The wires are sized to the amount of current they will be carrying and the 24 volt trolling motor should pull no more current than the 12 volt motor. You can check the current draw on both motors to be sure. Make sure that the wires you connect to the 24 volt system is only going to the trolling motor and not to any other devices like depth finder, lights, etc.. I believe that you will get through the fishing day with plenty of battery left because the 24 volt motor will not have to work as hard as the 12 volt motor to do the same job.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks deputyking. I was thinking that way on the wires and the longevity of the system. I know at full speed the 24 v system draws a little less amps, but with the extra power I won't need full power unless one of these 15 foot gators we got around here mistakes my boat for a female........... and my 357 gator eliminator system is in the box...........

Now I just need to figure out the on-board charging system. I'm thinking about just going with the 3 Bank system anyway, just because............ 3 batteries = 3 Bank charging system.

Does anyone have any opinions on the Minn-Kota system? I wanted to get the Bass Pro one but they are temp. out of stock.

Academy has the 3 Bank Minn-Kota system for around 100 bucks.

john

Post Thanks / Like

If they have a 3 bank for 1oo bucks, you need to check how many amps per bank that is. That is mighty cheap for a 3 bank charger unless it is only like a 5 amp or a lower trickle charger. You really need at least 10 amps per bank.
    Hope this helps.
    Have a crappie day!:D [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Two bank of at least 10 amps per bank. The motor charging system will keep up the starter battery. I still check the starter and bump it ocassionally. I used to get about a day out of my 12 volt and now three trips on the 24. Minn Kota is a good on board.
    PieEye
    "You can't fish with a landing net in both hands, you need one hand to put something back !

fiddlefarter is offline Moderator Crappie Cover Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Mt. Juliet, TN...Percy Priest Lake/Old Hickory Lake
    Post Thanks / Like

I had a friend that worked at BPS and he reccomended against the BPS chargers. They had a lot returned along with complaints about them eating batteries. Just what I heard. He was cust. serv. manager and my best friend so I took his word and bought a Dual-Pro (Made in Nashville and they have awesome cust. service.) If I had it to do over I would get a 3 bank Dual-Pro though. Wouldn't have to mess with occasionally charging the cranking battery.
    You need at least a 2 bank charger and that will only service the 2 TM batteries. Need another bank to charge a 3rd batt. I'd reccommend at least 10 amps per bank. Mine is a 15 per bank and it charges them pretty fast. (A major advantage if you fish consecutive days.)

With that said, some people on another board I frequent have very good opinions of the BPS Xps chargers. They are made by ProMariner, they say they work fine. Seems that most people on there (bassboatcentral.com) either use Guest or Dual Pro though. I don't have any experience with MK chargers so I can not comment on them.

You got the deal of a lifetime on the TM!
    Last edited by fiddlefarter; 01-05-2007 at 12:13 PM.
    Ya ain't holdin' your mouth right.

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

1. No 24V systems use approximately ½ the amps a 12V system uses. Ohm's law.

2. I use a 3 bank smart charger. 5 amps per bank unless one of the batteries is charged like the cranking battery. Then it puts available power to where it is needed. I've been using one for years and it will recharge my batteries over night.

3. Yes. See #1.

4. You got a great deal!!
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys.......... yeah I about fainted when I saw the tag........... my wife asked "Do you NEED another trolling motor?" I looked her dead in the eye and said "YES at this price." (in my head):D All I could really do was nod my head.

The cranking battery needs a charger, my 40hp Johnson doesn't charge doottle........... so I'm thinking 3 banker.

Problem is I spent my On-board Charger money on the trolling motor:rolleyes: that's why I asked about the minn-kota........... and yes it's 5/5/5 amp and I'm thinking it would do 15 amp for one battery if the others were close to full charge.

I looked at the 3 Bank Pro model from Dual Pro and that IS the one I would like to have but I'll have to save up some more money for that one. At 100 bucks I figured if I could get by for now with the Minn-kota I could scrape that up.:D

Thanks

john

Post Thanks / Like

Since you have a need to charge your starting battery, the 3-bank is necessary. If you didn't, the 2-bank would be enough for the trolling batteries. Just because your trolling batteries are set in series with a jumper from pos on one and neg on the other doesn't mean they will charge together. They will require their own "separate" pos/neg connection to the charger. On board chargers are great. Just plug your boat in and your done. Sounds like it's going to be a great year for you!!!
    Quit Wish'in and Let's Go Fish'in
    Darryl Morris

FAMILY FISHING TRIPS GUIDE SERVICE
    501-844-5418 --- [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=How do you charge now?[/QUOTE]

The ole fashioned way................. hook up to a charger and swap from battery to battery when it gets fully charged.

john

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast