Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crappie Lures

Post Thanks / Like

Default Crappie Lures

Does size really matter? I have used the smallest lures and caught plenty of slabs. I am fishing from the shore, no boat. I also use Blakemore roadrunners with good success

Post Thanks / Like

I like to match the hatch so to speak. If what they are feeding on is small then the bait should be small. If they are feeding on large bait fish then I like a larger bait. On days when the fish are pressured or the barometric pressure is sky high then I tend to use smaller baits.
    The love for fishing is one of the best gifts you can pass along
    Likes shipahoy41 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

That make sense. I am only a shore fishermen, so I am limited. Crappie is very very unpredictable, lol. I give myself 20 mins if nothing I using to switch lures. May be I need to cut that down to 10 mins.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greg_Mathis View Post
    I give myself 20 mins if nothing I using to switch lures. May be I need to cut that down to 10 mins.
    IMO, depth and speed are much more important than the bait you're using. I would change depth until I found the fish. Also, slow down. It's easy to reel too fast, particularly if you're standing on the bank.

If you're constantly changing lures, you'll never master any of them. For the first 10-12 years I fished, I didn't use anything but a solid white or solid chartreuse marabou jig -- and I caught plenty of fish.
    Likes Greg_Mathis, "D", shipahoy41 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by deathb4disco View Post
    IMO, depth and speed are much more important than the bait you're using. I would change depth until I found the fish. Also, slow down. It's easy to reel too fast, particularly if you're standing on the bank.

If you're constantly changing lures, you'll never master any of them. For the first 10-12 years I fished, I didn't use anything but a solid white or solid chartreuse marabou jig -- and I caught plenty of fish.
    So what size weight should I use? I using a medium setup and want to get good distance off small lures. I using 6lb line with my current setup.

Post Thanks / Like

There's no "best" bait or "best" size. Crappies will gladly try to eat a bait nearly as long as they are, or they will suck in the tiniest jigs that happen to swim by. There's no "best" way to fish for them either. Spend as much time as you can out there....when you do have success, try to understand what you may have been doing that caused that success. On the days you fail, ask the locals what they did to catch fish.

Post Thanks / Like

So what size weight should I use? I using a medium setup and want to get good distance off small lures. I using 6lb line with my current setup.
    You can go with lighter line...4# test. And if you really want to wing a small lure, add a slip bobber. That will be a good way to learn a new technique and experiment with a verrrrry slow retrieve as well as testing different depths
    Likes Greg_Mathis LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I like 1/32 or 1/16. You'll have trouble getting distance with 1/32 oz and a medium outfit. I'd go with a 1/16 or 1/8 oz jig or, as vic n mentioned, a lighter jig with a float. (I think the jig and float is a better option for shore fishing.)
    Likes shipahoy41 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

My setup calla for 6-12lb line. So you telling me I can use 4lb line?

Post Thanks / Like

Best all around would be 4 lb line a 6.5ft light action rod. And jig weights from 1/8oz-1/32oz.
    You honestly can't beat a roadrunner jig. With an assortment of grub/curl tail and baby shad plastics.
    Likes Greg_Mathis, bassbull LIKED above post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast