Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Your choice of Reels?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Your choice of Reels?

Which one do you use and why. Do you use all of them and for different purposes?
    Top we will call a spinning reel. Middle two we will call spincast reels. Bottom two we will call baitcast reel. I think this is the right names anyway. And if you use a different one from these also. I would like your feedback on what you use, like best, purpose for using it, and why.

Be safe and good luck fishing

Post Thanks / Like

I like spinning reels myself for most of my crappie fishing. I have to trigger spins for the girlfriend to use. They are not pictured. Spinning reels cast lighter weights better in my opinion.
    The love for fishing is one of the best gifts you can pass along
    Likes scrat LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I've used nothing but spinning reels for at least thirty years. As DSJ says, they are perfect for casting light baits, which is all I do.

Spincast reels are also good for that, but most modern spincast reels are very poor quality.

Baitcasters work for trolling and casting heavier baits.
    Likes scrat, FSR LIKED above post

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I have all of them (spincast included) but generally use spinning reels for everything Crappie fishing related. Though, I am starting out with some "long poles" (>10ft) to see if I like the spider rigging technique, and "for now" I'm using baitcast reels on them. ALL of my Bass fishing gear is baitcast oriented, so I'm familiar with them enough to be comfortable using them and/or switching back & forth between them & spinning gear.

And, yes ... they are generally for different "purposes" (methods). The rods they are on determines which purpose(s) they're effective on. The reasons I use those specific reels is the same as has been mentioned .... spinning for light line/bait & baitcast for heavier line/baits/rigs.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

I use a mix of all of them. My favorites for crappies are the old Johnson spin cast reels backed up with a good cane pole.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FSR View Post
    My favorites for crappies are the old Johnson spin cast reels ...
    That was my first reel, and I still have four of them.

They're fifty years old and still better than most spincast reels sold today.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a few of the old Johnson reels also. Can't hardly leave one sitting in a junk shop when I find one. Ha.
    The love for fishing is one of the best gifts you can pass along

Post Thanks / Like

I use spinning reels most of the time. But for docks I like spincast. I can shoot docks with a spinning reel but not as good as a spincast

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Spinning reels are best suited for average to skilled fishermen, they cast light baits well. Draw back is line twist when drag slips.

Spin Cast reels are best suited for beginners and kids because of ease of operation and will cast light baits. Drawbacks are most with exception of a few like the Omega by Zebco are cheap made which don't last. If I was going to fish alot and use spincast reels I would spend the extra money for the Omega . But they also twist line when drag slips.

The Bait Casters are best reel except do not cast light baits, there are some that are cheap but most are high quaility as high priced. They are for the most part very dependable. But not suited for most Crappie fishing because they do not cast light baits well. They will not twist line as drag slips but only suited for casting heavier Bass or Catfish type baits. Some use them for spider rigging but they are not cast.

Hope my opinion helps and over the years have used all 3 . I used to use spin cast for guided Catfish trips but line twist was a big problem. The Bait casters solved that but many fishermen cannot get the hang of casting them without backlashing them . When that happens I just cast out the baits for them .
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Post Thanks / Like

Mostly I use UL spinning reels, but I have one special purpose outfit for jigging tight to and from fishing docks. I use the Eagle Claw in line Ice fishing reel which has a free spool, a drag, and a multiplying crank. With .006 diameter mono and 1/48 oz heads, that takes me down to over 20' if necessary with no lure spin.