Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: California Spider rigging / slow troll

Post Thanks / Like

Default California Spider rigging / slow troll

Was out in the Midwest crappie fishing with a friend a few years back and learned to spider rig. It is by far the most relaxing style of fishing until you hit a jack pot and your lines get all twisted. I started spider rigging in CA last year. Sucks that we are limited to two poles and three hooks per pole only. Here is my set up: 2 cheap 17' pole with browning reel, & 4' high vis line. I usually run two jigs tipped with minnows. Very effective during pre & post spawn. My best friends are my minnkota ipilot system & Ego crappie net. the two pole limitation makes this stlyle very relaxing. Just imagine this: siting comfortable up front with remote control trolling at .05 mph' drinking a cold soda pop watching Manny & Mayweather fight on YouTube. Btw, I usually catch more this way during this time than bobbers rigs. Name:  image.jpg
Views: 702
Size:  52.8 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 655
Size:  46.1 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 566
Size:  112.2 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Nice looking set up.
    The love for fishing is one of the best gifts you can pass along

Post Thanks / Like

WOW those are awesome....congrats.
    For a full line of fluid beds
    soft plastic, jig heads and more see us at

www.simplycrappie.com

http://stores.ebay.com/Simply-Crappie

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Those are some nice fish. Great to see someone from out there posting pictures of fish. Keep it up. Where you fishing at?
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

Good info and I like the way you fish THX

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cray View Post
    Those are some nice fish. Great to see someone from out there posting pictures of fish. Keep it up. Where you fishing at?
    Hi Cray, I fish mostly reservoirs 2-3 hours surrounding Sacramento, CA. Anywhere from Angles camp, Black Butte, Lake Oroville, to Berryessa. The crappies in my picture were caught at Black Butte this year during the pre-spawn. I caught more spider rigging, just didn't take photos of them. I am going out to Lake Camanche this Saturday. Not trout fishing! Caught enough trout there in past. I am chasing crappies! They forbid live minnows due to potential diseases, so it's all jigs and Gulp Alive minnows. I'm going to have some kids and greenie adults with me, so I'll probably be busier tying their jigs than actually fishing. Wish me luck.

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, good luck to you. I lived in Reno in the early 90's and never took my boat out there. Did not know there was that quality of fishing in those lakes. Tried trout fishing but just not my cup of tea. Keep posting and maybe you will get more guys out there to post up.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lol11 View Post
    Sucks that we are limited to two poles and three hooks per pole only.
    Don't feel too bad about that. I can have 8 poles out on my boat and most of the time I get skunked. With only 2 poles you have less expense, and less hassle setting up and breaking it down!

Great catch.