Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: On Board Chargers?????

Depends on the season. but between Warrensburg Mo and south Louisiana is a good place to look
    Post Thanks / Like

Default On Board Chargers?????

Im looking at a On board charger and dont know which on to get or if they are worth it . Im looking at the minn kota 2 bank 6 amp for around $100 at Wal Mart . Any pros or cons would be great and which brand
    In our government-controlled schools we are taught that Lincoln was our greatest president because his war ended slavery and saved the Union. As usual, the other side of the story – the side that reflects poorly on the government – somehow gets lost. – Richard J. Maybury, The Abe Lincoln Hoax

Post Thanks / Like

I've got a Minn Kota 330 (3 bank, 10amp each), that was in my boat when I bought it. Wouldn't be without it. Just plug it in after fishing and all the batteries are charged.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey, new to the board. Have been reading but not taken the plunge but I had to respond to this thread.
    I have a 2 bank 10 amp and it is great. I really wanted a 3 bank but the dealer said there was no need for the 3rd bank since the motor charges the battery when it is running. At the time it made sence but now I wish I had gotten the 3 bank. Because after a long sit and I charge the main bats the starting bat would not start the motor. I may be a bad battery I'll have to check. But on board chargers are the way to go.

Speck is offline MO/MS Moderator and Fishing Legend * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I bought a Guest brand 2 bank charger off of ebay new for about $50. It has worked great for me.

Crazy Angler Pro Staff
    Crappie Logic Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the Mo board crappiecoz glad to have ya...feel free to jump in anytime.
    For a full line of fluid beds
    soft plastic, jig heads and more see us at

www.simplycrappie.com

http://stores.ebay.com/Simply-Crappie

Post Thanks / Like

Default Battery Tender

Quote Originally Posted by CrappieCoz
    Hey, new to the board. Have been reading but not taken the plunge but I had to respond to this thread.
    I have a 2 bank 10 amp and it is great. I really wanted a 3 bank but the dealer said there was no need for the 3rd bank since the motor charges the battery when it is running. At the time it made sence but now I wish I had gotten the 3 bank. Because after a long sit and I charge the main bats the starting bat would not start the motor. I may be a bad battery I'll have to check. But on board chargers are the way to go.
    Welcome CrappieCoz. Go to any Harley Davidson dealer and buy a Battery Tender. I think they are only $40 or $50. Hook it up permanetly with the cord that comes with it and you can simply plug in and unplug wehenever you plug or unplug your onboard charger. It is a slow trickle charge and won't overcharge no matter how long you leave it plugged in. I have one on my Carger cranking battery and it works great. I have one for each motercycle I have. Can plug them in a the beggining of cold weather and leave them on all winter.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks I'll be checking into those.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome Coz glad to have ya aboard.

I have a three bank from BPS plug it in no worries.
    My brother has the same charger a few week ago we took his boat out and the batteries dead got it home the fuses had blown and did not charge them.
    After checking his wiring and replacing the fuse works great.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree. I did have a painful lesson though. My buddies and I all have 3 bank chargers, and they keep their boats in storage sheds at Bucksaw year round. The all put their chargers on a timer ($6 at any Wal-Mart) and let it charge one hour each day, so as not to boil off the electrolyte. I'd always kept mine plugged in 24-7 and had to add water 2-3 times per year. It seemed like a good idea, so I bought a timer. The $6 timer ended up costing me a 3 bank charger ($300?) 2 trolling motor batteries ($90 ea) and a starter battery ($70). The timer malfunctioned, everything froze, and in somehow in the process it wrecked my charger as well. Moral of the story - keep it plugged in and check the juice every so often.
    Jim - Have boat - will travel.

Depends on the season. but between Warrensburg Mo and south Louisiana is a good place to look
    Post Thanks / Like

thanks, has any of yall used the Minn Kota
    In our government-controlled schools we are taught that Lincoln was our greatest president because his war ended slavery and saved the Union. As usual, the other side of the story – the side that reflects poorly on the government – somehow gets lost. – Richard J. Maybury, The Abe Lincoln Hoax

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast