Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Mitchell 300 pro 7 foot medium action combo...

Post Thanks / Like

Default Mitchell 300 pro 7 foot medium action combo...

Would this combo be good to catch crappies and other Panfish with. I did owned the ultralight in this combo but a shad broke the rod. Also the medium light version is on backordered so I decided to give this current combo some play. Did I make a bad decision? Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

I would say it would boil down to personal preference. I have used rods that I did not like just to hear someone else rave about how good they are. And its been the other way around as well. As long as it balances well and has the sensitivity to feel the bite it should be fine.
    The love for fishing is one of the best gifts you can pass along
    Likes Greg_Mathis LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DockShootinJack View Post
    I would say it would boil down to personal preference. I have used rods that I did not like just to hear someone else rave about how good they are. And its been the other way around as well. As long as it balances well and has the sensitivity to feel the bite it should be fine.
    Thank you for your input. What I was thinking when I first purchased this combo was get something stronger but not too heavy.

Post Thanks / Like

What are the pros and cons about using medium action reel for panfishing?

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Greg, I think you'll be fine with that combo. The difference between med/lite & med is probably not noticeable to most.

I have 2 Mitchell 308X reels ... one on a 8ft BnM Float-n-Fly rod & one on a 10ft Huckabee Dipping rod ... and they've performed very well. I've owned the "old school" Mitchell 300's and they were fine reels in their time.

If you get that outfit, test it with different weights (within the range noted on the rod) and you'll find that 'sweet spot' weight that the rod/reel will handle the best. Then you can still use heavier or lighter weights/baits, but will know (beforehand) how much or how little casting force is needed to get the best distance & accuracy out of the outfit.

After you set the hook and play some fish to the net, you won't even think about the fact that it's a "med" and not a "med/lite". I use many different powers & actions, even a med Bass rod & braid, and don't think a thing about it when I'm casting or fighting a fish. I know what the outfits can handle, as far as weights or baits, and use them accordingly.

... cp
    Likes Greg_Mathis LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CrappiePappy View Post
    Greg, I think you'll be fine with that combo. The difference between med/lite & med is probably not noticeable to most.

I have 2 Mitchell 308X reels ... one on a 8ft BnM Float-n-Fly rod & one on a 10ft Huckabee Dipping rod ... and they've performed very well. I've owned the "old school" Mitchell 300's and they were fine reels in their time.

If you get that outfit, test it with different weights (within the range noted on the rod) and you'll find that 'sweet spot' weight that the rod/reel will handle the best. Then you can still use heavier or lighter weights/baits, but will know (beforehand) how much or how little casting force is needed to get the best distance & accuracy out of the outfit.

After you set the hook and play some fish to the net, you won't even think about the fact that it's a "med" and not a "med/lite". I use many different powers & actions, even a med Bass rod & braid, and don't think a thing about it when I'm casting or fighting a fish. I know what the outfits can handle, as far as weights or baits, and use them accordingly.

... cp
    Very well put! I was just scared because most people use ultralight combo for panfishing. I mainly use blakemore roadrunners and 2 inch grubs. As you see I fairly new to the fishing sport. This year is my second year fishing.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greg_Mathis View Post
    Very well put! I was just scared because most people use ultralight combo for panfishing. I mainly use blakemore roadrunners and 2 inch grubs. As you see I fairly new to the fishing sport. This year is my second year fishing.
    LOL !! ..... I use the same things & that's the very reason I use 10/2 PowerPro braid on the heavier power rod (7' Bionic Blade) ... so I can get my Roadrunners free from snags. I use weedless jigheads on my rods with 6lb test mono, when casting the 1.5-2" plastics ... so I can fish them down in the cover, when necessary (& get them back out).

I've used ultralites, microlites, med/lites, med, and even med/hvy rods of various lengths ... and you know what ... I've caught Crappie, various species of sunfish, catfish, Bass, and a whole host of other species, and never once gave it a thought as to what power or action the rod was while I was fighting the fish !!

... cp
    Likes DOFC, Greg_Mathis LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greg_Mathis View Post
    Very well put! I was just scared because most people use ultralight combo for panfishing.
    I'm definitely part of the "most". I think light and UL tackle is perfect for crappie and bluegill, and I use it for pretty much everything else, too.

That being said, tackle choices are very personal. Use whatever you're comfortable with.

Post Thanks / Like

I tested out my new combo and it wasn't to bad. I thought it would be heavy but turned out to be pretty comfortable.