Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Wheeler help! Bluegill, shellcracker

Post Thanks / Like

Default Wheeler help! Bluegill, shellcracker

Well, it's been years since I've done some serious brim fishing, but I'm trying my hand at it this season. I've been out on Wheeler almost every evening the past two weeks. I've fished second creek, first creek, elk, main river sloughs.......just haven't gotten on them like I use to.

I've mainly been using small panfish jigs (panfish magnet) tipped with a cricket. I've been working this along shoreline about 2ft under a small cigar float. Been targeting sandy pebble shorelines as well as open water structure. Nothing has seemed to work so far. Are the brim even on bed yet?

If anyone has some good advice for lower wheeler, I'd really appreciate it. I'd hate to get skunked this season.

If any experience brim fishers want to go fishing, I'd be glad to take ya out! I have a 97 bass tracker pro 17 with a good sonar, great little panfish boat! Only payment I ask for is knowledge!

-Scuba

Slabprowler is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't know anything about wheeler but have been catching lots of shell cracker the last week on Guntersville several big blue gill is starting to show up have found several males still cleaning off beds been catching most in 4 fow Saturday evening they had moved a little closer to the banks . Mostly catching them on the bottom if they don't hit it on the fall pick it up move it toward ya just a little at a time.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Slabprowler View Post
    Don't know anything about wheeler but have been catching lots of shell cracker the last week on Guntersville several big blue gill is starting to show up have found several males still cleaning off beds been catching most in 4 fow Saturday evening they had moved a little closer to the banks . Mostly catching them on the bottom if they don't hit it on the fall pick it up move it toward ya just a little at a time.
    Thanks for that info slabprowler.So you don't use a bobber when fishing the beds? That may be my issue, I don't think my bait is getting down to the fish. It's been many years since I've targeted crackers and bluegill. I do remember how fun it is to get on a bed, catching one after another. There's not many fish better tasting than bluegill IMO.

Not looking to fill up the freezer, but I do hope to catch enough for a fish fry! My wife has never had whole fried bream before, gotta change that!

-Scuba
    Last edited by Scubaguy5; 05-05-2015 at 06:55 AM. Reason: misspell

Slabprowler is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I used to always use a float but I have caught much more fish this year on the bottom This evening 3 of us went out I was fishing on the bottom the other 2 guys was using a float after my 13 th fish and their 2nd between the 2 they switched and went to the bottom ended up with 44 most was 8-10 inch she'll cracker. If you know of a good place that you used to fish check it out unless something has changed the area they still be close by thier.
    Likes sniperei LIKED above post