Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can Someone Help Me Rank This Setup?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Can Someone Help Me Rank This Setup?

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabel...+fishing+combo

I am looking into fly fishing and came across this combo. My thoughts are to skip the started combo and get this one at the starter price as I would end up upgrading anyways. I would be getting the 9 ft 6 weight setup. The reviews look good.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks fine to me. Cabela's has good stuff.

Two points to ponder:

1) If you're going with a Cabela's (or Bass Pro) outfit, I'd drive to the store and handle the rod, if possible. Cabela's and BP have lots of rods, and you might see one you like a little better.

2) A 6wt is a good all-round rod, but a little heavy for a pure bluegill rod. For bluegills, I'd go no heavier than a 5wt.

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

What do you plan to use it for. If panfish even crappie I'm like d4d I would go with the 5 wt. if you plan on doing some bass fishing or small stripers then the 6. I use a 9ft 5 wt and have caught 4 lb bass out of my pond on it and it handle the fish just fine but is a little to light for the bigger bugs you would want to use thus the 6 selection.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

Trout
    Bream
    Crappie

Those are the species I will be targeting. Lots of bass in the waters I will be fishing.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd still go with a 5wt, but that's me. A 6wt is not unreasonable for what you're doing.
    Likes Cray LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

5 weight it is. I went to bps today to feel some rods in the hand. 4 weight was too wimpy. 5 and 6 felt just about the same but seemed the 5 flexed more towards the butt than the 6 did. Don't want to wait until the 5 gets off backorder so I will keep looking. My friend is going to loan me a setup to get my feet wet.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lcookie View Post
    5 weight it is. I went to bps today to feel some rods in the hand. 4 weight was too wimpy. 5 and 6 felt just about the same but seemed the 5 flexed more towards the butt than the 6 did. Don't want to wait until the 5 gets off backorder so I will keep looking. My friend is going to loan me a setup to get my feet wet.
    BP has some good combos, too. Check out the TFO (Temple Forks Outfitters) combos. TFO rods come with a lifetime, no-fault warranty. Redington Crosswater combo is another option.

... and here's one more:

Encounter Fly Rod Outfits -- Orvis

Post Thanks / Like

I have worked in the fly fishing industry for over 35 years so this is what I have seen. The box store type combos may work out just fine.However many of these rods are priced right for a reason. One can be due to using second rate guides. If this happens you will notice your fly line will get cut up or rough do to the pour chroming on the guides. So you spend x dollars and decide you need a new line. Lines are $50.00 range. A few trips out and the line has the same problem as the first line. You know spent $200.00 and what do you have. A non usable rod 2 fly lines to tie your tomatoes up with and a cheap reel. Not all have this problem but should you get one and it happens you have a complete loss. I would stick to a rod such as TFO or others that have a warranty. They usually use the better guides , cork and so on. A reel usually just stores your line so save the bucks there. Almost any floating line will do. If you are a beginner you will want to practice casting and quite often it is in the back yard. This too can attribute to lines wearing out ( friction ). For just a few dollars more you will get a quality rod with a guarantee. This is hard to beat.

Post Thanks / Like

Ended up with a TFO Lefty Kreh Finesse Series in 4 Weight matched up with a TFO C-Prism 3/4 reel. Awesome combo. Light and accurate.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like you made some good choices and will be happy fishing with it for years to come.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast