Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Winter Bluegill

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Winter Bluegill

A friend of mine owns a dock on table rock lake, in fairly deep water.
    He is frustrated because he hasn't caught any crappie off of the dock
    this year, can't figure out why. He started fishing for bluegill and is catching
    some close to a pound. He takes catfood, throws out small clumps, when
    the bluegill come up he fishes with a very small piece of nightcrawler
    and noi weight. he just lets it float down on its own, says he is killing
    the bluegill. I'm gonna try it.

John B.

Post Thanks / Like

let me know how it works. something like that could keep my grandkids occupied.

chaunc is offline 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Thats a killer technique. The only thing i dont like is they all swallow your hook before you can feel em. You'd better be a good line watcher or you'll stay busy digging hooks out.

Post Thanks / Like

chaunc,

Sensitive floats will help you see more bites. I got a bunch of gills this past weekend and didn't gut hook any of them. I had my float dotted down to a pimple on the surface. Even then, some of the fish barely moved it.

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by deathb4disco
    chaunc,

Sensitive floats will help you see more bites. I got a bunch of gills this past weekend and didn't gut hook any of them. I had my float dotted down to a pimple on the surface. Even then, some of the fish barely moved it.
    Was you fishing a pond or lake? How deep was you fishing your hook and in how deep of water? What was you baiting with?
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

chaunc is offline 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

chaunc,

Understood, but i'm talking about how they slurp them in on the fall. No weight and that bait will fly in their mouth when they flair there gills. That bobber will twitch but it will still be taken deep. Best to keep a pair of hemostats close by.

Post Thanks / Like

Gabowman,

Pond, about a foot off the bottom in 7' of water, maggots.

chaunc,

Good point. I think a lot of people use too much weight too close to the hook. The gill spits it out when they feel the excess weight. I was using a no. 8 shot about six inches from the hook.

Post Thanks / Like

Default winter bream

We look forward to some cold winter weather.Seems to bunch up the big bream of the savannah river just below the clarkhill dam.It is not uncommon to catch 100=150 bluegills bigger than your hand in a 3=4 hour trip when they are there. We have caught jumbo yellow perch and crappies up closer to the surface.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dallasrogers
    We look forward to some cold winter weather.Seems to bunch up the big bream of the savannah river just below the clarkhill dam.It is not uncommon to catch 100=150 bluegills bigger than your hand in a 3=4 hour trip when they are there. We have caught jumbo yellow perch and crappies up closer to the surface.
    How do you fish for them. Around the banks, in the channel, and what kind of bait? I would like to try that in Russell.

Post Thanks / Like

Gabowman,

Pond, about a foot off the bottom in 7' of water, maggots.

chaunc,

Good point. I think a lot of people use too much weight too close to the hook. The gill spits it out when they feel the excess weight. I was using a no. 8 shot about six inches from the hook.

thats how I set MY weight all the time unless there are smaller bream suspended about the Hogs then I'll lower the shot to speed the fall though the dinks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast