Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: What is the best way to sink christmas trees?

Post Thanks / Like

Default What is the best way to sink christmas trees?

Hey

I got 34 christmas trees this year. They are the fir kind I believe. Do I need to do anything to them to prepare them? What is the best way to sink them? I would like to sink more than one at a time if that is possible. I plan on using these mostly for bass, but I assume they are done the same way for bass and crappie. I will probably do some crappie fishing also.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Ive got some friends that sank fir christmas trees, they didnt last a year.
    the small limbs rotted off and the larger became water logged, they
    ended up looking like a short two by four. I'd use concrete blocks
    and cheap nylon line from walmart if i was doing christmas trees.
    it might be more efficient to use hardwoods, or cedar, plastic is also a
    good option. just my opinion.

john b.

Post Thanks / Like

There are many ways to sink it.
    In bluff areas I tie two or three together end to end and the top end to a the bluff or a tree and a few brick on the other. This allows them to hang over secondary drops.In lay down areas I do the same tie the trees together a couple bricks on each end. I drop the first end and keep the second end on the boat I make a loop and use a long rope threw the loop and string it tight like a trot line. Like John I prefer to use plastic or a hard wood. I know that a person needs to use what he can get though. However when doing that much work I like to make sure they will be there for awhile.

Post Thanks / Like

I like to hang them from docks, bluff walls, trees or anything that is in deeper water. I prefer water over 25' deep on my lake. I use this same method with other small trees that I find along a bank or even PVC attractors!
    I use electric fence wire to the dock, nail on the bluff wall, etc... then I tie a rope leader to the end of the wire at the desired depth you want your tree( mine is around 15' ) then tie the rope to the tree and after that tie a block to the other end and let her go! I have the most sucsess on both species doing this method over just sinking.
    The Christmas trees don't last long, doing it this way you can swap them out every other year. By using the electric wire they become almost invisible to other fisherman!
    Tight Lines!
    Jason Piper

Post Thanks / Like

My nephews went around and picked up alot of trees too. I think close to 60...They tied them together and sank them this weekend...They said they tied 3 together and sank them with cement blocks...They put them all in deep water...And in different areas of the lake...
    Sounds like alot of good fishing to me....:rolleyes:If the weather holds out here we will go and give them a work out next weekend...
    No need to sit home if you can go fishing...:D

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappiequeennc
    My nephews went around and picked up alot of trees too. I think close to 60...They tied them together and sank them this weekend...They said they tied 3 together and sank them with cement blocks...They put them all in deep water...And in different areas of the lake...
    Sounds like alot of good fishing to me....:rolleyes:If the weather holds out here we will go and give them a work out next weekend...
    No need to sit home if you can go fishing...:D

Hey queenie...I don't blame you one bit...Get out there while you can...Catch all you can and then post your pictures....I enjoy seeing them...Just glad you know where and how to do it...More than I can say for me...LOL...:rolleyes: