Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: looking for help !

Post Thanks / Like

Question looking for help !

Hi Im a newbie to this fourm but have been fishing for several years. I live on a smaller (91 acre) lake in oakland co. This lake has some nice crappie in it. During the spring , summer and fall I have little problem finding and catching fish. My question or questions are :

Where would one start looking for crappie during the winter months ? I cannot find em

Also night fishing , which Im new to. Lights or no lights ? deep or shallow ? close to the humps or suspended in open water?

The lake I fish the water is very clear ! With steep drop-offs lined with weeds there is one mid lake hump that I target allot with good sucess. ( except the times and conditions listed above)

I am thinking of going out tonight and giving it another try.

Thanks in advance for any input or tips.

BTW Im obviousally fishing open water now from a row boat powered with a trolling motor. Since we HAVE NO ICE YET !!!

is there a spell check am I missing it ?
    Last edited by Pinche; 01-04-2007 at 01:13 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

First look for structure in some of the deeper water of the lake. If the deepest hole or holes are only ten feet then check there. If is a deep lake I have often found specks as deep as 35 feet. They are often suspended in deep water so check the entire water column. Also check bays in the 6 - 12 foot range that have tall weed growth or wood structure. In these bays they will definitely be relating to the structure, often right next to it. In the weeded bays I usually find them in pockets and inside turns of weed lines. Night fishing can really produce with lights this time of year. Use a submersible or a surface light and present your baits just on the outside edge of where the light ends.
    It is not about the equipment you have to use,
    It is about how you use the equipment you have. :D

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for the input. Ill try the lights again tonight. The deepest hole in the lake is around 50 ft. the crappies are usually in about 25 ft 8-12 down just off of a hump only like I said they have not seemed interested the past month or so.

If we dont get ice soon I may go nutty . This is crazy !

A quick question about the light . ... Is it OK to point the light directly into the water or would it be better to but it in an old minnow bucket to get more of a glowing effect ? BTW Im useing an old headlight out of a car.

Pinche

Post Thanks / Like

well I didnt go out last night due to heavy rains and wind .......going tonight

Post Thanks / Like

Skunked Im starting to think the lake Im fishing may be a morning lake. Ive been out night fishing 7-8 times and only remember catching 3-4 fish ever . I dunno

Post Thanks / Like

This guy is the king of night fishing as far as most are conserned. Maybe you'll draw some insight from this.
    http://www.crappie.com/rango/index.htm
    NEED MORE COWBELL!!
    JD

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks reelfun Ill check it out !!