Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Will Crappie get on lights in the winter?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Will Crappie get on lights in the winter?

Hey

I was wondering if you can catch crappie under lights in the winter? I have caught them before in the summer, but I have never tried it in the winter. Would you expect to catch them in the same spots you caught them in the summer? Minnows or jigs? How deep?

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

I always fished nights with my grandfather and we fished year round. we caught fish under the lights whatever time of year it was. of course sometime we would move to shallower water and sometimes deeper water. but the lights always attract fish. the only time I've really had any problems was during a full moon. a lot of people believe in fishing during the full moon but i always stay home and wait til the moon is gone. i've rambled enough. good luck.

keep on fishin
    fighting for this country(it can't always be someone ELSE'S SON)
    keep on fishin

Post Thanks / Like

we use to use a coleman lantern sittin on top of the ice with a aluminum foil around the lantern to focus the light down

and we fished all around the light and always did rather well

another note... this worked best on the new moon

Post Thanks / Like

Default fishing at night

If I had my choice I would stay away from a full moon. Fish seem to be more active a few days after a front has been thru. Lights bring in bait fish which in turn attracts the crappies and other fish. Don't be surprised to catch them at shallow depths. Have had good luck where the light from your source light meets the dark (the edge).

Good Luck!!
    Sacred Heart of Mary, pray for us now, and at the hour of our death. AMEN
    For those who believe, no explanation is necessary....for those who don't, no explanation is possible
    For the sake of his sorrowful Passion, have mercy on us and the whole world

Post Thanks / Like

i nightstalk year round, 12 months a year and yep, using lights at night is a way of life for us nightstalkers. winter time is my favorite time to be on the water at night.
    listen with your eyes---its the only way to beleive what you hear...

Post Thanks / Like

We do quite a bit of night fishing up here in the winter. Usually with lights on the ice, but with no ice this year we are still shore fishing or boat fishing and the lights still work just as good.
    It is not about the equipment you have to use,
    It is about how you use the equipment you have. :D

Post Thanks / Like

Night lights work year round, they bring in all the goodies the bait fish feed on and concentrates that food source under the light, then concentrates the bait fish, then... life is good - crappie time