Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Trolling for crappie

Post Thanks / Like

Default Trolling for crappie

Not familiar with trolling for crappie. Do you just catch one here and there? Crappie bunch up good, do you catch one and try to catch more or keep moving? Do you troll with primary motor or troll motor? You use crank baits for this? What rods/reels? How'd you get into it, what are your results? What time of year? Lots of questions, lol. Tell me about it and why do you do it? Do you catch generally big ones? Seems like you would.
    ~~~
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by livemusic View Post
    Not familiar with trolling for crappie. Do you just catch one here and there? Crappie bunch up good, do you catch one and try to catch more or keep moving? Do you troll with primary motor or troll motor? You use crank baits for this? What rods/reels? How'd you get into it, what are your results? What time of year? Lots of questions, lol. Tell me about it and why do you do it? Do you catch generally big ones? Seems like you would.
    Are you writing a book?

Get out and fish, man!

Post Thanks / Like

There are multiple ways to troll. Usually, you catch bigger fish. Definitely, a way to catch more numbers. You are searching more aggressive fish and covering a lot of ground usually when longlining. When spider rigging or tightlining you are controlling depth and may move very little. Pushing is a way to control depth while moving faster and putting baits in front of fish before the trolling motor spooks them. You always use the trolling motor to control speed and direction. Some use crank baits. I prefer jigs. Cranks are a newer tactic for open water suspended fish. Though, I would definitely stick to jigs to start. They are cheaper and easier to learn. Plus, trebles not very good for released fish.

M R Dux is offline Crappie.com Legend , 2018 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itdTVSgSnKk

I've posted this here before. We did this video a couple of years ago but nothing has changed.

I would longline for crappie using curly tail grubs or roadrunners the same way but with 6 pound line and my speed around 1.0-1.2.

BTW, I haven't gotten any prettier or smaller (wife has me on a diet) since this was done. Bib overalls are still my fishing clothes of choice.
    www.crappie-gills-n-more.com
    Podunk Ideas Pro Staff /test platform
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Excel Boats Pro Staff
    Likes scrat, willietex75766 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Each tactic is different, I suggest starting with longlining. Or tell us what lakes you normally fish and we can give advice from there. As for the number you catch depends. I have landed 8 at one time. You can even catch two on one line if double jigging.

Post Thanks / Like

Zowie.... That is one heck of a set of questions. There are as many ways of doing it as there are people on the boards.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by deathb4disco View Post
    Are you writing a book?

Get out and fish, man!
    I probably fished 15 days in April, will go again later this week. Websites LOVE people like me who ask questions, have you started any threads lately? A forum is NOTHING without threads.
    ~~~
    Bill

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Go to the MS board and read the sticky thread.....Crankbaits 101
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Likes DRPEPPER, theygotaeat, SlabPappi LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I probably fished 15 days in April, will go again later this week. Websites LOVE people like me who ask questions, have you started any threads lately? A forum is NOTHING without threads.

I'm just joking with you.

Post Thanks / Like

I was going to say to look up cranking in the Mississippi stickys. But, we got testy. DP
    I am a heterosexual male. 2 Chronicles 7:14
    "If my people who are called by My name will humble themselves and pray and seek My face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from Heaven and will forgive their sin and heal their land."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast