Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help on tactics

Post Thanks / Like

Default Help on tactics

I'm fairly new to crappie fishing. Two years ago I bought the stuff to start spider rigging and I've been out with that gear maybe 15 to 20 times since I purchased it. So far i've not had much success. My best day spider rigging was 9 crappie. I'm fishing good lakes too...last year I fished mostly Sardis Lake in MS, and this year Pickwick Lake in MS and TN. From a technical perspective I know I have my rigging correct. I did my research, and then went out with a guide to validate what I thought I had learned. I know i've got the right gear and presentation. What I clearly lack is knowledge on the fish. I don't know if I'm not fishing the right areas, or at the right speeds, etc.

Last week I fished for six hours and I caught a single crappie. Conditions were tough on the day I went...it was a really windy post-front day...but I figured I'd have caught more than a single crappie! I trolled around some likely looking spawning flats in about 6 to 10 feet of water and caught nothing. After that I just cruised around with my sonar until I located what looked like good fish. I dropped a marker on them, then trolled back and forth through them with minnows and jigs deployed at depths a foot or so above where they marked on the screen...and I caught one fish. That was it.

There have been plenty of other times when I'd go out for 4 or 6 hours and catch one...maybe two fish with 6 rods in the water.

How long do you fish an area before you decide to move on to a new one? Will you burn an hour? Two hours? Three hours trolling a spot? I usually only get to fish a half day per week if I'm lucky...if I burn too much time on a bad spot it just kills any chance of success...but packing up the rods and moving to a new spot takes time too. What are your thoughts?

What am I doing wrong?

I started the spider rigging thing as a way to get the kids excited about fishing...but when I keep getting skunked it kind of ruins things. It's not much fun asking a kid to watch a rod do nothing for six hours.

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, so far this year you have had as much success as I have. It has just been a really tough year so far. Weather has played a big roll in that. Guys who fish a lot will tell you they have not had very many good days. Just stay after it. It will get better. Just read as much as you can about patterning fish certain times of year but you have to consider the water levels we are having and constant weather pattern changes.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

The rain has been crazy this year. Flat crazy.

Post Thanks / Like

Been slow for me this spring, looking forward to summer and low water.
    Every day is a holiday and every meal is a picnic.

Post Thanks / Like

What size jig and colors are you using?? During early spring season, water is still cold and the fish are slow to bite. If the spawn is over go to deeper water. Deep brush piles an trees. Also go slow- .2 or less. I would say more, but, this site does not work good.It's a shame. To slow!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm using small jigs..maybe 1 to 1.5 inch. I try different colors based on recent fishing reports. If the water is dark i try to use dark colors, and light colors in clearer water. I honestly don't have any clue if the spawn is over or not. i don't get out enough to have any feel for what the fish are doing. i talked to a guy the other day who said he's still catching fish with eggs in them...so I'm guessing some are still spawning.

The water levels have been up and down a bunch due to heavy weekly rains for the past month. They might be three feet higher or lower from week to week it seems like.

The water is warm...mid 60s now.

Post Thanks / Like

all I can say is fishin/not catchin is very expensive this year.... glad fuel prices are reasonable. stay after it,and it will come around.

Post Thanks / Like

If you can afford it, I would go out with a guide again. Same guy or another one, but this time sit down with him and a map of the lake. Point out places you might want to go rigging and see what he says about your choices. He will know current locations of fish and will be able to tell you why, or why not to go to those spots. Go to the lake that may be easiest to learn....more stable? Bigger/better/more numbers of fish? Let him know you are more interested in learning how to find the fish first, and catch them secondly.
    I tried to talk to a local guide about learning to find fish....all he wanted to do was drive me out to a spot and point. Not interested in my business at all.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks y'all. I might see if I can get out a few afternoons over the next week and just grind it out.

Post Thanks / Like

Fishinhunter; When all else fails try small corks and jigs or minnows on your rods while spider rigging. I have been able to catch quite a few doing this. I set the corks at different depths(this time of year corks at 3', 31/2', and 4' deep and fishing in 5'-8' water depth has worked good) till I find the depth they bite best at then change all to that depth. I just slow troll very slow and even slower just hitting the trolling motor and letting it coast or letting the wind ease me along but go as slow as you can. I use 1/16 black/chartreuse tubes when the water is dark and stained after rains. If that doesn't work try different colors such as orange/chartreuse worked good last week when fishing and minnows are good anytime as well. When I catch a fish say in 5 or 6 foot water then I try to just troll that depth to see if I catch more of them at that depth before moving deeper or shallower. Most of the time they all will be biting in just about same depth or close to it. Now I know that corks are taboo for a lot of fishermen but people have been catching fish with them for as far back as anyone can remember. Well anyway this is what has work for for me and it may work for you also.
    Be safe and good luck fishing

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast