PDA

View Full Version : I can't believe it happened

possumcop
01-03-2007, 07:03 PM
Around Christmas I posted a thread about help with St Jude kids and I had not one single reply and I guess that my thread has been removed. I had about 50 looks but no replys. That's okay because I will just do it myself. I hate that some people are selfish and unwilling to help kids that are sick and have maybe have one last wish to go fishing. I really hate that this hapened.

dwightparks
01-03-2007, 09:47 PM
I must have missed your post but I recieve St. Judes donation request in the mail very often and I give when I can. You should not bash people as all of us are not as selfish as you might think.

crichison
01-03-2007, 09:51 PM
possumcop,

I'm sorry no one replyed to your post, but do you think it is possible that people may have aready dontated. Not that it matters, but I donated through one of my fellow coworkers.

GRIZZ
01-03-2007, 09:56 PM
People here are generous and kind in many ways. More so than most places online. When you ask for help and don't get the responce you anticipated, becoming critical only hurts you and your cause.

Persuading people isn't easy. You have to realize that people don't often see a cause the same way you do. Go ask a few missionaries how hard it is to persuade people that thier cause is worth supporting. Its hard work and your going to get told no a lot. If you feel strongly about helping these kids, the thing to do is to help them yourself first, then get other to help you help them. I teach kids fishing quite a lot and get great personal satisfaction from it, but I know that trying to get time and money from people to take kids fishing is a tough task. I have tried and usually end up doing it out of my own pocket or not at all.

I appreciate your intent. I just suggest that you may need to adjust your methods a little.

Jigster
01-03-2007, 10:01 PM
That's a pretty harsh statement there "cop". I would not be so quick to judge us folks here at Crappie .com. I have been here a while and can't think of anyone here I would call "selfish".

Best Regards
Jigster

1weezer
01-03-2007, 10:14 PM
Possumcop, All of us here on this site are more than willing to help out any one in need of just about any thing. We always have in the past and always will in the future. However, your statement was hard. It could be that when you posted that, many on the board was busy doing some thing else and did not see it. I don't think that any one on this site is going to be told they have to give or be bullied into giving to any thing. You might want to think about that before the next time you make a statement like that.

Wiskers
01-03-2007, 10:20 PM
I never saw the post but I always donate every year but it's cause I want to not cause I have to!

cook
01-03-2007, 10:44 PM
I guess that my thread has been removed.
"No,its still there"

I hate that some people are selfish and unwilling to help kids that are sick and have maybe have one last wish to go fishing. I really hate that this hapened.
"Easy there,big guy.We all do what we can.I give what I can.If other people do,great...if not ....they have their reasons.Cool down a little and get this deleted....
Do what you can and don't worry about others

Good luck

bttmline
01-03-2007, 10:55 PM
How can you be sure that some took it upon themselves to just send something directly to St Judes after reading your post. I don't believe there are many selfesh members on our boards, that is what we do here is share knowledge and ourselves. But you did say around X-mas when many people are already busy with other family matters.

fishingpox
01-03-2007, 11:12 PM
I have to agree with everyone on this. The people of CC.com are very giving people. And very forgiving people. I did not see your post. I live 5 miles form St. Judes and when or if I contribute to anybody around here it is St. Judes and Ronald Mcdonald House.

I will say this in my behalf. December is a bad month monetarily for the Langley family. However, I still find a way to give to those who are less fortunate. I'm sure alot of men and women find it to be a hard month also to give.

So calm down and try again with a different post. And count me in. ;)

anchorpuller
01-04-2007, 12:13 AM
I, personally, can attest to the generosity of the folks here on crappie.com.
If you go back to last Christmas and look at some of the posts, you'll see what I mean. Christmas is a hard time for many families financially. Many, also, have chosen to give in other directions or ways to the less fortunate. It doesn't mean your cause is any less important, just that there are many causes for giving.
I believe as many that have posted before me. Some were busy and didn't see your post. Some didn't have it to give. Some have given in other places. There are many reasons to have not had the response you hoped to have.
I dont' have much, but if you decide you would like to try again, I'll be glad to donate for your cause, however I don't live near St Judes and I would find it impossible to take any of the children there fishing. Perhaps I can look into the Children's hospital here to see if they know of a child that would like to go.
I hope you reconsider your feelings on the folks here at crappie.com.

Bridges
01-04-2007, 12:26 AM
The post as written:
"I had a thought for the kids at St. Jude. I thought it would be a good idea for some of us crappie fisherman in the Mid-South area to get together and take some of these kids fishing. I have 4 healthy kids and I could not imagine if one of them were sick and at St. Jude. I would be willing to donate some of my time and money to make one of these kids wish come true if it were to go fishing. I know these parents have to stay in Memphis for months at a time. What I am asking is would some of you be willing to do the same. I am sure that the parents and kids would be forever grateful to us. I am afraid that I may need some help with this project. If any of you fisherman have sponsers that would be interested in donating maybe some poles or shirts or whatever they could. I am sure that we would get alot of good out of this too."
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Sounded to me like you were asking for (1) help from folks around the memphis area (2) donations from sponsors

I think most of us don't live near the memphis area and/or have sponsors.

Like fishingpox, I agree with everyone here.

Darryl Morris
01-04-2007, 03:09 AM
About a year ago, I contacted the Make A Wish Foundation both nationally and for the state. I volunteered my guide services anytime they needed for the kids and they were so excited and so thankful for my willingness to do something for the kids. To date, I've not done one trip. Maybe I would if I lived in Orlando. The offer still stands, but it's their turn to contact me. Oh, but guess what I did get in the mail every month -- a personal invitation to fill the turned up palm. As the boys in the car racing world would say, all show and no go.

I saw the post and I am pleased we have charities and I do believe some of them do some good. But personally I get very irritated when the offering plate is passed a third time during the same meeting - once with an appeal of need, twice to show your love and then a third time to humiliate if you don't give more. It's like the panhandler who follows you down the street because he knows he's found a sucker. Enough already.

We'd all do better if we hung out at Wal-Mart and threw rotten fruit at all the people that park in the handicap spots that have a sticker but aren't really handicapped. There ought to be a law and we could start a charity for that -- Citizens for the Unethical Treatment of Every Moron -- CUT'EM.

"Selfish and unwilling," I think not. But you might be very surprised to find out that what they want from you is not what you have to offer. Go for it and post the pictures.

GRIZZ
01-04-2007, 04:48 AM
Your such a warm and fuzzy guy Darryl. :D BTW forget the rotten fruit and throw rocks. People abusing handicap parking is one of the things that brings GRIZZ out of his cave. I think there is often a bit too much tolerance in this day of PCness.

I saw the post and I am pleased we have charities and I do believe some of them do some good. But personally I get very irritated when the offering plate is passed a third time during the same meeting - once with an appeal of need, twice to show your love and then a third time to humiliate if you don't give more. It's like the panhandler who follows you down the street because he knows he's found a sucker. Enough already.

Don't ya just want to stand up in church sometimes and yell "Enough!!" and walk out? I know I do. I never have but I've sure thought it and wanted to enough times. Some pulpits need eject buttons.

CrappiePappy
01-04-2007, 05:06 AM
Around Christmas I posted a thread about help with St Jude kids and I had not one single reply and I guess that my thread has been removed. I had about 50 looks but no replys. That's okay because I will just do it myself. I hate that some people are selfish and unwilling to help kids that are sick and have maybe have one last wish to go fishing. I really hate that this hapened.

Your thread has not been removed. In fact, it's very much alive and receiving replies. http://www.crappie.com/gr8vb3/showthread.php?t=30169

Remember ... it IS the Holiday Season, and many people are financially tapped out (or looking forwards to being, once the bills come due).

"Bridges" is correct ... it did seem to be directed towards "Mid-South/Memphis area" members and/or Sponsors participation. May I suggest that you contact some of the site Sponsors, and see if any of them are willing to donate products to the cause.

I can't provide any financial aid, or take any of these children fishing .... but, I'd be more than happy to send you some of my own personal fishing tackle (baits) for use on any trips with these children, if that would help.

I don't think it's a case of "selfish and unwilling to help", as much as it's a case of "timing" of the request. You may be better served to research the idea further ... find a child that would want to, and could, go on such a trip ... THEN give us the details and make your plea for "specific" methods of support (money, baits, products, and/or personal participation).

........ cp :cool:

Ragfly Jig Man
01-04-2007, 08:45 AM
Back when baseball cards were a got topic I had a card show in my home town. Ended up with $500 and over 10,000 cards to be donated to St. Judes.
I am now disabled from an on the job injury while being a firefighter.
I did not see your post at all. How dare you say that about people here at crappie.com. I have only been a member a short time and I can already tell you that there are no nicer and kinder people than here at crappie.com.

DRPEPPER
01-04-2007, 09:11 AM
First of all, I have been allowed to poor my hurt out to the folks on this sight and have had many replies with encouragement and advice. I can't thank everyone enough for that. I didn't see your post either. But, I will give you the same advice now that I would have if I'd seen it.
A similar situation happened to me about six years ago that Darryl explained. I noticed the single moms at the large church that I attend, that had boys of the fishing age. I tried to start a ministry that would get these kids involved in fishing by going out with me. I had visions of taking at least two every weekend and would actually have to schedule their trips. I volunteered this every Sunday morning for about two months. Not one person took me up on my offer. But, I felt chastised for not getting invoved in a Basket ball program that is sponserd by the area churches. I don't know anything about Basket ball and am too fat to learn. I wanted to use something I knew something about.
I think your idea is commendable. I wish you luck and hope it turns into something. But, you need to use a little more cooth with the people on this sight.
DP

bobberwatcher
01-04-2007, 09:12 PM
Sounds like you have stirred up a bit of a hornets nest around here. Hopefully you have taken your lumps and have learned alot about crappie.com'ers in the process. I sincerely hope you think a little harder next time before making such an irresponsible post. I am hoping you were under the influence of "something" when you made this post. Doesn't really excuse it, but would better explain it.

JohnR
01-04-2007, 11:23 PM
Agreed BW. We do what we can to help out. Unfortunately, things fall through the cracks and it's just not possible to help everybody at the same time.

matt s.
01-05-2007, 01:14 PM
If i'm sending money or donations,i'll do it directly through the donation place.I don't trust sending money to somebody "for donation".Know how many scams take place during that time of the year?

David Waters
01-05-2007, 02:05 PM
hmmmmmm......Muscle Shoals High School Band raised over $2000 and sent to St. Jude right after our Christmas Concert. We collected over 360,000 coke can tabs and took donations for a guess at how many were in the container filled with tabs.

Selfish and Unwilling?

Think before you post and blast everyone...... or it will be you who sounds stupid and foolish.

KCBALLER
01-05-2007, 02:28 PM
open mouth insert foot......... hope you learned something.
but please dont give up the good fight for those kids..

GRIZZ
01-05-2007, 02:30 PM
I think we have pummeled him enough now guys. Lets drop it.