Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which minnow, and does it matter?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Which minnow, and does it matter?

New to crappie fishing and got question for the experts! I went to get some minnows the other day and when I said I wanted minnows I was given several options in kind and size I was not prepared for. If given the option is one preferred over the other and it seems like some of the choices between my two bait places have different names but are actually the same.

The options I have are:

- Arkansas Shiners
    - Tuffies
    - Rosie Reds
    - Blackheads
    - Fatheads

Post Thanks / Like

I will probably catch a bunch of grief for this but..... TUFFIES. They will eat a shiner but prefer tuffies. I have used both side by side enough times to know. I have heard nothing but good things about Rosie reds but have never found them small enough you couldn't use a filet knife on them. As for size, if given the option I prefer #6's

Post Thanks / Like

I have seen times where they would only bite shiners and the same thing with tuffies you just have to use them all and see what works best for you. On my favorite lake they like big shiners in early spring but come summer tuffies are hard to beat. And you can beat Rosie for small lakes in my neck of the woods. So they all work in different places and times.

Post Thanks / Like

Tuffies or Rosies
    HAND TIED CRAPPIE JIGS CRAPPIECOLLECTORS JIGS

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CRAPPIECOL...g_id=515350944

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dicksenn View Post
    New to crappie fishing and got question for the experts! I went to get some minnows the other day and when I said I wanted minnows I was given several options in kind and size I was not prepared for. If given the option is one preferred over the other and it seems like some of the choices between my two bait places have different names but are actually the same.

The options I have are:

- Arkansas Shiners
    - Tuffies
    - Rosie Reds
    - Blackheads
    - Fatheads
    Other than the Shiners .... if the bait stores sell the other minnows at different prices, they're playing you

Fatheads, Blackheads, & Tuffies are all the same Fathead Minnow ... and Rosie Reds are a orange colored variation of a Fathead Minnow. Blackheads may also be male Fatheads in breeding coloration.

As for the "Arkansas" Shiners ... if they buy their minnows from Andersons Fish Farm, they're probably just Golden Shiners.

If/when I buy minnows, I usually go by size ... picking the 2-3" range if available. Mostly they're Fatheads, but occasionally there may be some Bluntnose Minnows in the mix. I've even had the occasional Stickleback show up in the bunch , and even less often a Tadpole or Channel Cat fry. I have no idea where our local baitshops get their "minnows"

... cp
    Likes NIMROD LIKED above post

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Home grown work.

Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CrappiePappy View Post
    Other than the Shiners .... if the bait stores sell the other minnows at different prices, they're playing you

Fatheads, Blackheads, & Tuffies are all the same Fathead Minnow ... and Rosie Reds are a orange colored variation of a Fathead Minnow. Blackheads may also be male Fatheads in breeding coloration.

As for the "Arkansas" Shiners ... if they buy their minnows from Andersons Fish Farm, they're probably just Golden Shiners.

If/when I buy minnows, I usually go by size ... picking the 2-3" range if available. Mostly they're Fatheads, but occasionally there may be some Bluntnose Minnows in the mix. I've even had the occasional Stickleback show up in the bunch , and even less often a Tadpole or Channel Cat fry. I have no idea where our local baitshops get their "minnows"

... cp
    Never caught a single fish in all the time I've spent on the water with a stickleback that got thrown in my bucket.
    HAND TIED CRAPPIE JIGS CRAPPIECOLLECTORS JIGS

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CRAPPIECOL...g_id=515350944

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Locator79 View Post
    Never caught a single fish in all the time I've spent on the water with a stickleback that got thrown in my bucket.
    Not likely to, unless you've got Pike in your waters. Any I find in my bucket, never live long enough to be put on a hook. I smash they little head & feed'em to the B'gills !!

... cp
    Likes wannabe fisherman LIKED above post

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

The Tuffies or pink minners as some swear by are usually sold very small. Shiners , pink minnows, or whatever ,size probably the most important. My dad actually favored bigger bait . CrappiePappy is right on in his post IMO.
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

chaunc is offline 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Fatheads for inland lakes and shiners for the great lake Erie, perch fishing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast