Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Down and Side Imaging and Positioning Boat

Post Thanks / Like

Default Down and Side Imaging and Positioning Boat

After 18 months or so of using my HB 898 I'm understanding it more and more. However, I can't get a clear answer to one thing. I find crappie on the screen and I immediately throw a marker off the back of the boat. I'm not sure that is the best way of positioning the boat. I may be too near, or may be too far away. I'd rather be 15 or 20 feet away from them and cast toward them. What is the best way to position the boat after crappie appear on the screen? Oh, my transducer is mounted on the stern.
    GET THE NET HAROLD, GET THE NET!!

Post Thanks / Like

I have found that wind is the big factor when fishing a pile. Place your buoy however you feel you need to throw it. Just make sure you throw it close and know where the pile is in location to your buoy. If there is wind then position your boat against the wind facing your buoy. This will keep you on spot and if you need to closer you wont spook the fish with the troll motor as you move in close. If no wind then you have more options. Simply try everything once you get on spot. Try retrieving a jig past the pile on either side first to not sppok the mass in the pile. If you get a strike then you can jus drop a jig vertically and try to entice a bite. Once you know they are there then you can drop the jigs right into the pile and pull them out one by one. Hope that's what you were asking.
    USAF Retired and fishing!

Post Thanks / Like

You should be able to set a "casting ring" distance around your waypoint. It will put a circle around your waypoint at whatever distance you select. This might be a help and I'm sure others will chime in as well.

rnvinc is offline Crappie.com 2016 Man of the Year * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

The targets are entering the beam as soon as the echoes appear on the screen ...

Scenario 1 = If viewing 2d or DI ... Throw the buoy upwind as soon as the target enters the screen, (like kicknback mentioned) ... Then reposition the boat downwind 30-40ft and fan-cast until you pinpoint the target ...

Scenario 2 = If viewing SI ... Activate the cursor and drop a waypoint on the structure ... Then reposition the boat to traverse over that waypoint viewing 2d or DI ...

Then repeat scenario 1 above when the waypoint marked target enters the screen on 2d or DI ...

Rickie
    www.podunkideas.com <--Click here
    ------------—————
    https://www.crappie-gills-n-more.com/
    https://cornfieldfishinggear.com/

------------------------>> Pro Staff Sonar Advisor
    Likes Ferdi, short grub LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I like to mark the pile with a buoy. Then drop an anchor downwind. Then use trolling motor to put pile into sonar view. Then tie off the anchor to your boat. Then use the tm to keep the anchor line tight but not move the anchor. This will keep you solidly above the pile to vertical jig or do it at a distance. The constant turning of the tm usually won't spook the fish. If it does, just wait a little while and they will get used to it. Works well for shooting docks also.
    Fishing is like pizza.......Even when it's not that good, it's still pretty good!
    Member of Lanier Crappie Anglers.com or net

Post Thanks / Like

If your transducer is on the back, toss your buoy out to the side of the boat and then move away from it. Circle back into the wind and you should have a very good idea where it is located. I use my front depthfinder and transducer mounted on the trolling motor to find exactly where it's at. I wasted a lot time making several casts and not being able to find it. After a couple move up again in relation to your other buoy. Sometimes I will pitch out another buoy to get closer and pick up the first.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the great help. All of the suggestions are better than what I'm doing. Can't wait to go out and try each one. Again, thank you all so much.
    GET THE NET HAROLD, GET THE NET!!