Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: light or med. lt. power?

Post Thanks / Like

Default light or med. lt. power?

which is best for casting jigs or fishing under floats? i don't vertical jig much and definitely will not be trolling. thanks for ideas.

Post Thanks / Like

Really depends on the manufacturer or the type of blank. Also length of rod size of float, lead and lure. I would think a 6'6" would be fine in a light action for most cork rigs.
    Likes "D" LIKED above post

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Most rods between 6-7ft in length would do well for jig casting or FnF. Whether they be lite action or med/lite action is personal choice. IMHO

I use a 6'6" ESP PowerLite rod for jig casting. (fast action tip)
    I use a 8' BnM Duckworth FnF rod for float/fly (bobber/jig) style of fishing.

I don't use the ESP rod for FnF fishing, because the rod has micro guides and are too small to allow free movement of bobber stops through the end guides or tip eye.

... cp
    Likes Buckie02 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I have 7' light and Med light rods they both do good jobs with fnf, casting jigs, and dock shooting.
    The love for fishing is one of the best gifts you can pass along

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CrappiePappy View Post

I don't use the ESP rod for FnF fishing, because the rod has micro guides and are too small to allow free movement of bobber stops through the end guides or tip eye.

... cp
    CP,

I simply love the new "micro" guides. The new St Croix Panfish Series is a awesome rod for Crappie! I have the UL 6' one piece and it is perfect for even big crappie!

I got rid of "slip floats" because you have to put extra weight a foot above your tiny jig? The "Adjust a Bobber" has surgical tubing inside and you just twist any line (mono, flouro, or braid) and depth adjustments can be made in a couple seconds!

A small float, 1.5", with a UL rod. I've been bailin' the Crappie for the last three weeks up here in PA!

Tight Lines,

Post Thanks / Like

2nd that the micro guides are excellent on those St Croix rods...I have the 70LXF and use it for vertical jigging, trolling brush piles and tossing floats/jigs

Post Thanks / Like

6 to 7 foot UL
    Yodibuzz

Post Thanks / Like

gents, i thank you for the insights.

Post Thanks / Like

I also use UL with a Fast Action. I prefer St. Croix Premier Spinning rods in 6'6". Model number is PS66ULF.I also have several PS70MLF rods for heavier line and lures, trolling and Walleye fishing.
    HOI Crappie Club
    Where family and friends come to compete for a little more than bragging rights.

Quick, someone teach me how to fish so I can win this tournament!!!

Post Thanks / Like

For longer casts, use a longer rod to get line up off the water. I used to use a weighted bloat and sling it a long ways. On windy days the longer rod helped me get the slack off the water for that quick hookset you sometimes need. A cheap 8-10 foot rod will help you on those days and lets you get over the fish when down in the brush or stakebeds making it easier to get out before you get wrapped up.

For years, I used to put all other rods up except for the long rod and a float & jig. Loved watching a big one bury the float. Now almost never use them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast