Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you favor smaller jigs?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Do you favor smaller jigs?

I keep reading people mention small jigs. What is your thinking on that? If you use, say, 1/64 oz jig, are you tight-lining or using a cork? What lb. test line and what type line? I am no expert crappie fisherman but I think my jigs are mostly 1/16th oz. Hmmm... if I went to 1/32, that is half the weight. If I went to 1/64, that is 1/4 the weight! I am wondering how I would fish a jig that light. Interesting!
    ~~~
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like

I use 1/32 jig heads when dock shooting and when using float and fly. I think the slower fall helps. It would definitely keep the lure in the strike zone longer and to me that's what you want to happen. I do step up to 1/16 and 1/8 ounce heads when I am casting jigs and conditions are windy so that I can feel the jig and detect a bite. I have some of the Bobby Garland Slab Docktors** maybe that's how its spelled that I will likely use on a 1/16 head because of the bulk of the bait. I have fished their crappie spiders on a 1/32 head and they fall very slow. They worked well on finicky fish that didn't want to bite. I learned to love the slow fall of a bait fishing Mister Twister Slimmy Slug for bass. Only the weight of the hook to carry the bait down. They couldn't stand it.
    The love for fishing is one of the best gifts you can pass along
    Likes theygotaeat LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Ive been using mostly 1/16 and 1/32 oz heads for just about everything. 1/8 oz would be for very windy/choppy/high current times (1/8 is about the smallest Id go for smallmouth fishing as well)? I mostly fish single or double rigs under a cork or slip float. I use all 6lb mono right now for all my crappie fishing.

Post Thanks / Like

1/32 oz and 4# test line for everything except trolling.

Post Thanks / Like

interesting. I do not fish the lighter jigs that often. Maybe I should try them some more.

Post Thanks / Like

+2. When they get real finicky I will drop down to 1/64 or 1/80 on 2# test. Been using the smaller size for years when the bite was hard and I wanted fish for dinner. Be prepared to lose a lot of jigs on snags. Hardly ever lose the fish with the small jigs. Only use them for vertical jigging.

Post Thanks / Like

What happened to the old saying "the bigger the bait the bigger the fish". Are you people just fishing for numbers or for size? Hard to believe a big fish would rather have a little bitty meal than a big meal.
    Be safe and good luck fishing
    Likes vic n, theygotaeat, Cmj LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scrat View Post
    What happened to the old saying "the bigger the bait the bigger the fish". Are you people just fishing for numbers or for size?
    I like action, so I fish for numbers. The law of averages tells me the more fish I catch, the better my chances for a big one. A 1/32 oz jig has produced bass and grass carp up to 7# and catfish up to 10# for me.

I very rarely fish a jig bigger than 1/32, and then it's a 1/16. 1/8 and 1/4 is for saltwater.
    Likes Alphahawk, no1son LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Using a small jig head does not mean you can't have a bigger bait. I use 1/32 jig heads with a #2 sickle hook. A larger body will mean that it falls slower. That slow fall has produced nice fish off of docks for me. If I had to say the fish would have a 12" average.
    The love for fishing is one of the best gifts you can pass along
    Likes theygotaeat LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DockShootinJack View Post
    Using a small jig head does not mean you can't have a bigger bait. I use 1/32 jig heads with a #2 sickle hook. A larger body will mean that it falls slower. That slow fall has produced nice fish off of docks for me. If I had to say the fish would have a 12" average.
    Now I know what you are saying big offering just using less weight so it will float to the bottom slower. I like using larger hooks because they are not swallowed by small size fish that I release back. That is the reason I have asked others what was the bigger sickle hooks that they use with jigs. I am going to use #2 sickles on my jig heads. I have always used #2/0 aberdeens when using minnows so small crappie would not swallow them so bad and no matter how small I don't throw back gut hooked fish. Now some say they are using 2# line? I would hate to know I had a 5# crappie of a lifetime on a 2# line and lose it because of the line size. But I have down sized from 14# to 8# line. Now I am just learning this artificial fishing and bare with me as I am just learning as I have alway used minnows mostly.
    Be safe and good luck fishing

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast