Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Shad ?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Shad ?

I was hoping someone could give a little advice on keeping shad alive....They don't last long in the bait tank and have tried putting less than a couple dozen at a time in too... Someone once told me that the reason my shad die so quickly is because my bait well is not completely round...Would this have a factor in the cause and could I get some advice from the pros out there on maybe how to remedy this factor...........Please l

Post Thanks / Like

Shad need a round tank so you got that part already. Also, careful handling and transfer will help extend their life. Finally, cool water with lots and lost of oxygen.

Depending on how big your tank is, you can try using a round insert, like a 5 gallon bucket with slots in the sides.
    Moderator of Fishin Fanatics - National Fishing Forum
    http://fishinfanatics.com/forums/index.php?

Post Thanks / Like

there are many additives out you can use as well as adding non chlorinated ice to the bucket

Post Thanks / Like

Kosher salt,1# to 5 gallons water....still....its tough to keep them alive

Post Thanks / Like

Try to keep the water constantly circulating like in a livewell. I've been able to keep about 1 or 2 dozen alive for an hour or so in my livewell. IMO, They are just about impossible to keep alive for very long. Fortunately, there are plenty of them around here. I can just throw a cast net and get some fresh ones when they start giving it up.
    Fillet and Release. Team Crisco.

bynsell911 Guest

Default Keeping Shad Alive

Two years ago when I started striper fishing I had the same question...how to keep shad alive for more than 1 hour (On a Small Budget). After alot of experiments and LOTS of research I came up with This:
    First of all I believe the #1 killer of shad is Stress
    So I try to handle them as Little as Possible and Shad need lots of Oxygen (Fresh Water). Also shad will kill themselves (Stress) by hitting there nose against the side of a bait tank. So as other people said shad need a round tank but they also need a small amount of current going in a circular motion in the tank. This current will keep them from running there nose into the side of the tank and killing themselves (they will keep there nose going into the current). I also use a product called Shad Keeper that helps alot. I have used Salt but I beleive that Shad keeper does more. I also have my bait tank constantly being filled with lake water via my Live well pump and then draining over the side of the boat and back into the lake. Iwill take a picture of my setup and try to post it on this site. I think I built my bait tank for 2.48 plus some spare parts from the garage. I have been able to keep shad alive for 6+ Hours and when I let them go they were in great shape(Not even a little red on the nose)

Post Thanks / Like

With the 30 gallon tank I made up last fall. I can keep big shad or small ones alive 24+ hours. But even with the 30 gallon tank. I have to keep the pump running around the clock.
    I have it filtered and the pump keeps the water moving around the tank and also spraying water back in.
    Its hard to keep them alive. But can be done.
    Clean water, Keep it cool and not over load it. That helps.
    Pete

Post Thanks / Like

Default chris

Quote Originally Posted by Litebite
    ... Someone once told me that the reason my shad die so quickly is because my bait well is not completely round...Would this have a factor in the cause and could I get some advice from the pros out there on maybe how to remedy this factor...........Please l
    I have told this story so many times; some one is sure to reconize it. I used to have a fellow working for me that I fondly refer to as Chris the idiot. He and my mechanic went fishing one time and placed their catch of a few catfish smaller that 10 " in a five gallon bucket and left them by the shop for a few days. Naturally they died. I discovered them a few days later and started chewing Chris out about leaving them there to die. His explanation was that "they must have gotten too dizzie swimming in that circle and died". Needless to say, I wasn't mad anymore after that explanation.
    This story dosen't have anything to do with how to keep shad alive. But, this post reminded me of Chris and I thought you might enjoy it too.
    DP
    I am a heterosexual male. 2 Chronicles 7:14
    "If my people who are called by My name will humble themselves and pray and seek My face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from Heaven and will forgive their sin and heal their land."

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks all for your very useful info....A special Thanks to bynsell911 and that is one great first post...Hope to hear more from you...Welcome aboard and I'll be looking for the pics............
    Last edited by Litebite; 01-03-2007 at 05:34 PM.