Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jig knot

Post Thanks / Like

Default Jig knot

Say, I keep coming up with questions, lol. What kind of knot do you guys use to tie crappie jigs on? If you strongly favor a certain knot, what makes it your fave?
    ~~~
    Bill

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Improved Clinch is what I use ... mono or braid. Simple & quick to tie is the reason.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Whatever knot you can tie quickly and easily will work just fine.
    Likes shipahoy41 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by livemusic View Post
    Say, I keep coming up with questions, lol. What kind of knot do you guys use to tie crappie jigs on? If you strongly favor a certain knot, what makes it your fave?
    The knot that I use is a fly fisherman knot called the "non-slip knot" it's a loop knot that doesn't slip on you.
    Likes theygotaeat LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Loop

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Loop knot for me as well. Your jig is made to have a certain action. To me, anything that cinches on the eye of your hook, would hinder that action.
    Likes Machine, theygotaeat LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

LoopName:  uploadfromtaptalk1429132759398.jpg
Views: 3120
Size:  83.3 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Default Here's My Take on Direct vs. Loop Ties

If I were to tie direct, I would use the Trilene knot. Been using it for so many years now, it's second nature to me. However - with jigs I would prefer a loop of some sort, in order to give the jig maximum freedom in the water, which makes, I believe, an very attractive presentation. The currents, depth of the water and type of retrieve can have a dramatic affect on jig action. And this free action that a loop allows works just fine with most presentations.

Now that being said, I do not use a loop knot with my jigs! The desirable action you get from securing your jig with a loop is defeated - in my opinion - by the abrasion of the line loop by the sliding back & forth movement in the eye of the jig. I've lost some fish this way when all I retrieved was the two ends of a broken loop! Instead, I tie direct to a "Snap Hook", then snap the jig onto it. Best of both worlds. Here's a link to what I am talking about:

Mustad Snap Hooks. Easily change flies without tying

After many years of trial & error, I find the size #2 (medium) to work very effectively with 1/32 - 1/8 oz. jig heads. An added bonus is that this small device (which is small enough to float a dry fly) allows for quick and easy changing of jig heads without retying. JMO!
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

surgeon's loop for me. I've tried a number of devices and I like tie the loop

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast