Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Too many boats!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Too many boats!!

Here is my issue.

I have a 12ft simi-V 1952 Ward Seaking in perfect shape, with a newer trailer, also in great shape.

I also have a 14ft Lund flat bottom Jon boat in good shape, 80's model with live well, and an old trailer in good shape.

I don't need two boats. I got the 14ft from a guy that needed a quick sale. I have titles for both trailers and registrations on both boats, but only have a title on the 14ft.

As of last year you have to have a title on a boat to sell it in our state. I can get a title on the Seaking, but don't need to if I just keep it.

I was happy with the Seaking and only bought the other boat to help a guy out. But I have done a lot of work on the Jon Boat, new carpet and mounted seats, the live well is handy.

But all and all the 12 ft is easier to handle for one person. The trailer loads easier. And enough room for me and my fishing buddy. And I still have oars for the Seaking, should I want to use them.

I would love to hear folks thoughts on 14ft flat bottom vs 12ft simi-V. All my fishing is small inland lakes and small river.

Post Thanks / Like

In a perfect world both. As you have said the 12' is great for one person and the 14' is better for two.
    The love for fishing is one of the best gifts you can pass along
    Likes shipahoy41 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I can see where need both of them. The smaller one when fishing along and the bigger one when taking a friend or a family member. I have three boats and yes I can't use them all at one time but each one has it's time and place. Another thing is if it is paid for then it ain't eating nothing setting in my storage sheds and there is no way that I could replace them for the same money. If you need a title to sell one you can that is in my state get a bill of sales the one you bought it from to sign it in front of a notary republic stamped and then send to boat registration and you can get the title or at least that is what I did. If you are rowing the smaller boat you may want to get a battery and a small trolling motor for the larger boat my choice would be a foot control type. Because when you start catching and telling others about your catch there will be others that will ask to go.
    Be safe and good luck fishing

Post Thanks / Like

Everything is paid off, I have three trolling motors and a 7HP outboard. But sometimes when I go alone I just like to row one of the smaller lakes. Its normally on a weekday and I have the lake to myself, peaceful.

I just don't want to put tags on both trailers, and pay registration on two boats. Plus my wife just picked up one of the launch permits that I need. To fish all the lakes I like to, I need two more. That's over $60 a boat alone!

I like things about both, but the 14ft would sell easier I think. One of the guys I fish with most has his own really nice boat so we use it when we fish together.

To title the smaller boat is just a hassle and a few weeks wait. It involves a police check pictures and installation of hull ID numbers. It currently has no hull ID #, and I think a $25 title fee.

Post Thanks / Like

I thought that once , ending up buying a Lowe 1960 roughneck after I sold my 1760 8 months earlier found out the Stinger although camo is not really good for duck hunting lol and I like the full open floor plan on the roughneck for cat fishing and trot lining Its like a woman and shoes you can't have to many
    Crappie Attitude
    US NAVY Veteran
    Find Them Grind Them

Post Thanks / Like

I took the 14 ft out this weekend with my brother. I would sure miss that live well.
    And we had plenty of room for us and our gear. We where on the water five or six hours.

The 12's seating position would have got old by that time with both of us.

I got permission from my wife to go ahead and keep both for another year.
    I also think I may have my little brother interested in the 12 footer. He has never had a boat
    it would make him a good first boat. I offered him a deal, told him he could have it if he wanted it.

That might be the best of both worlds, keeping it in the family.
    Likes scrat LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Too many boats!! Said no man ever!

Likes Bowhunter2, willietex75766 LIKED above post

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by seagullplayer View Post
    I took the 14 ft out this weekend with my brother. I would sure miss that live well.
    And we had plenty of room for us and our gear. We where on the water five or six hours.

The 12's seating position would have got old by that time with both of us.

I got permission from my wife to go ahead and keep both for another year.
    I also think I may have my little brother interested in the 12 footer. He has never had a boat
    it would make him a good first boat. I offered him a deal, told him he could have it if he wanted it.

That might be the best of both worlds, keeping it in the family.

I believe a plan has come together. I'd keep the bigger one myself, never too big.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around