Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How many of each lure?

Post Thanks / Like

Default How many of each lure?

When you buy a jig or lure, how many do you buy? Anybody got a fishing trip sob story?

Since I am new to getting into this, I have been buying 4 of each color. My thinking is what if they bite one, I gotta have some spares. And this is getting expensive, lol.

Post Thanks / Like

I guess you are talking about crankbaits or some type of casting lure? I mainly use jigs and soft plastics that come in packs of 10-50. If its a particular style or color that I use a lot I try to keep plenty of those.
    ><}}}}*> (C.J.)

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Weedless jig heads ... 100 each of 1/32oz & 1/16oz (should last me for ~ 10yrs or more)

Plastic jig bodies ... Slabanator Crappie Jig bodies 20pk of each color I like & will re-order as needed.

Other custom made bodies ordered in 100pks

All other tubes/grubs/etc are purchased in packs however they come commercially packaged. (10-12-15-20-etc)

Hard lures ... like Roadrunners, Whirly Bees ... purchased 2-5 at a time in productive colors

Cranks ... not currently equipped to pull/push cranks, but would purchase a minimum of 3ea of colors known to produce in my area's waters

... cp
    Likes livemusic, Specklocker LIKED above post

Eagle 1 is offline Crappie.com Legend and Mississippi Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

HAND TIED FROM CRAPPIELOGIC , ALWAYS A DOZEN . Bobby Garland ? 20 ,min .

jackie53 is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

At least one more than your fishing buddy
    John 3:16
    Blessed to have as many friends as fingers on your hand is a blessing!!!
    "Gone fish'n not wish'n"
    In God We Trust.
    Can God trust us.
    Likes Gobob, chrispy LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I try one pack of plastics or color pattern on cranks ...fish it/them til it's a proven color/pattern then the sky is the limit on the amount but at least 4 on the cranks How many of each lure? How many of each lure? How many of each lure? How many of each lure?

Post Thanks / Like

2 each on cranks and if it ends up as go to color 4 or more. Got 1 I call the money crank only one I've ever found. Would like to have a dozen of it
    Crappie Attitude
    US NAVY Veteran
    Find Them Grind Them

Post Thanks / Like

As far as how many crank baits, if I have a hot color I like to keep at least 3 or 4 in the tackle box at all times. If I find crank baits on sale, I'll stock up on a favorite color or two, sometimes as many as 6 to 8. It does get expensive quickly, and I have a tackle box full of nothing but crank baits worth about $500.

You also asked about a sob story while fishing. I was catching crappie pretty good on a purple/chartreuse crank bait and lost on a hang up. This particular crank bait was not easy to find, and the ones I saw online were very pricey. I finally found one at Wally World and took it with me on my next fishing trip. I fished all of about 20 minutes with it, got hung up again, and lost the bait. Another time, I tied on one of my favorite crank baits and when I cast it out the line snapped and the lure sailed off into the lake. It was a suspending model, so it was gone. I checked the line, cut off a couple of feet just to be sure, tied on another crank bait just like the one I lost, and the same thing happened again. Then I checked the rod over real good and discovered one of the rod guides was chipped and had cut my line both times. Those were $7 baits too.
    Likes livemusic LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I don't fish with cranks for crappies. But do catch a lot of crappies while trolling for walleyes. I use 7 different colors and buy them in the winter on close outs. Keep at least a dozen of each on hand. When I lose one I just replace it with one from the stock I keep on hand. As for jigs I pour 1000 for crappie and 3-400 for walleyes. I use light line so I lose quite a few jigs in a year. If I get a snag I just break the line and tie on another jig. When my supply gets down to a hundred I pour more.

Post Thanks / Like

Crank baits are 2-3 minimum. Jigs....I have too many to count - lots of store bought colors and tons of hand painted customs that I like to use. Plastics, I just buy what is cheap or on sale lol

Quote Originally Posted by cnette01 View Post
    Another time, I tied on one of my favorite crank baits and when I cast it out the line snapped and the lure sailed off into the lake. It was a suspending model, so it was gone. I checked the line, cut off a couple of feet just to be sure, tied on another crank bait just like the one I lost, and the same thing happened again. Then I checked the rod over real good and discovered one of the rod guides was chipped and had cut my line both times. Those were $7 baits too.
    I've had the exact same thing happen while walleye fishing - it made for a rather expensive couple of casts!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast