Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Anchor winches

Post Thanks / Like

Default Anchor winches

I fish on the alabama river with very muddy bottom the only anchor I've found that will hold is very heavy. Just wandering if anyone has tried a different type winch for a anchor winch. Ex. A trailor winch or atv winch or something.

Post Thanks / Like

i made a electric anchor winch i run with my 18v cordless drill, works awesome and
    it's really fast. i'm using a 20lb. anchor, but i'm sure it will lift much more.
    if your interested in using a drill, i'll take some pics. if not, i won't bother....

Post Thanks / Like

Take a pic! I would like to see this contraption!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I use an ATV style winch for my steelhead fishing boat. We are normally using anchors made of chain in excess of 80lbs.

You can pick one up for around $100.00 at harbor freight. Get the biggest one you can buy. Ensure you buy one that does NOT free spool out. You want to be able to let it out and in with electricity. Also, ensure you respool with rope and not cable. Reason: IF you ever get caught on something and cannot get it up, or, heaven for bid, it starts taking on water in the back end (I've seen that happen) you want to be able to quickly cut it with a knife!!

Also, look for one with either a Long remote, or the ability to hard wire an in and out switch wherever you plan to operate it from.
    If I remember correctly, mine is a 3500 series attached to a small deck on the bow of my 12 foot steelhead river boat. I utilize a metel wheel (or fairlead) where the rope runs directly out of the winch, over the fairlead wheel and into the water.

I'd take pictures of this one but it is stored for the year in my barn about 200 miles from my house
    I have OCD "Obsessive Crappie Disorder"

Post Thanks / Like

I have a friend that has a minn kota winch that came on his boat. This is a winch made for boats. These are $$$$$$ you may want to check harbor freight winches out they are a lot cheaper. 2500# $59.99 @ HF Be careful this thing could pull the whole boat to the bottom.
    Be safe and good luck fishing

Post Thanks / Like

this is powered by a 18v corldless drill.
    it's a 3:1 ratio trailer winch, with 300lb line.
    the big round black disc, is a disc brake. i control the speed when dropping my 20lb. anchor, by light pressure from two fingers on the disc. you can stop it easy with just two fingers. so you can drop it as fast as you want, with no back lash when it it's bottom.
    i bet with drill on high, it will lift my anchor from 30 feet, in less then 5 seconds.

lots of ways to mount it. i was going to mount it on the transom (pic with red pulley), until i got a gas motor, then moved it to side of boat.

if i forget my drill, i have a small handle i can attach to the disc, and it reels up, real easy.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Post Thanks / Like

my system would easily handle more weight.
    but you could use a 4:1 trailer winch to handle more weight, or they make
    a 40:1 worm gear winch that will pull a car out of a ditch with my drill.
    all for under $30.

what i like about mine, is it's cheap, and super fast!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by naturenut View Post
    my system would easily handle more weight.
    but you could use a 4:1 trailer winch to handle more weight, or they make
    a 40:1 worm gear winch that will pull a car out of a ditch with my drill.
    all for under $30.

what i like about mine, is it's cheap, and super fast!
    This is so cool thanks for sharing..