Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone cast -- throw and retrieve with a lure -- for crappie? (lures / rodnreel)

Post Thanks / Like

Default Anyone cast -- throw and retrieve with a lure -- for crappie? (lures / rodnreel)

I fish a 5" fluke for bass and catch some dandy white perch. I mean crappie. So, I am thinking of trying 3" flukes. I also like to throw small spinner baits and could try small crank baits. Just curious, do crappie fisherman cast for crappie like we do for bass and what are the setups? Curious about lures and also what rod/reel! Lots of questions, lol. Any comments on this? Thanks.

Eagle 1 is offline Crappie.com Legend and Mississippi Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Johnson has a small spinner kit "crappie spin" . There are two older men who pound the banks from mid march till may on Enid lake .

Post Thanks / Like

Thats all I do I use a Bitsy Minnow crankbait or a Betts Spin 1/16 spinner bait I've not got enough patience to set and watch a spider rig .....lol

Post Thanks / Like

Almost any small jig will work. I like 1/32 or 1/16 oz for casting. Solid chartreuse and solid white are my best colors.

Any light or UL spinning outfit will work fine. I use 4# line.
    Likes shipahoy41 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by deathb4disco View Post
    Almost any small jig will work. I like 1/32 or 1/16 oz for casting. Solid chartreuse and solid white are my best colors.

Any light or UL spinning outfit will work fine. I use 4# line.
    Do you throw a bare jig (no spinner) and retrieve it steady or how? How deep do you think you fish it? That 4 lb line is light where I fish (lots of cover). I would think you catch some bass, too. Do you break your line a lot? Do you feel that 4 lb test gives you more strikes or use it cast farther? Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by livemusic View Post
    Do you throw a bare jig (no spinner) and retrieve it steady or how?
    Bare jig, no spinner, steady retrieve.

How deep do you think you fish it?
    I fish it different depths depending where I think the fish are. I use the "countdown" method to fish different depths.

That 4 lb line is light where I fish (lots of cover). I would think you catch some bass, too. Do you break your line a lot?
    I've never had a crappie break my line.

Do you feel that 4 lb test gives you more strikes or use it cast farther?
    Both.
    Likes livemusic LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Do you throw a bare jig (no spinner) and retrieve it steady or how? How deep do you think you fish it? That 4 lb line is light where I fish (lots of cover). I would think you catch some bass, too. Do you break your line a lot? Do you feel that 4 lb test gives you more strikes or use it cast farther? Thanks.
    This is all you need to know to fish jigs for crappie:

Charlie Brewer's Slider Company - ******* Weedless Crappie Slider "Why&How"

I've been doing this for forty years. It works with any jig, not just sliders. The technique is what's important, not the bait.
    Likes livemusic, Hanr3 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I cast as well. Very little trolling. I use Power Pro braid in 3 pound diameter. Haven't had a fish break the line. I have straightened a hook of two out trying to horse a big catfish out of cover.
    The love for fishing is one of the best gifts you can pass along
    Likes shipahoy41 LIKED above post

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I fish a 5" fluke for bass and catch some dandy white perch. I mean crappie. So, I am thinking of trying 3" flukes. I also like to throw small spinner baits and could try small crank baits. Just curious, do crappie fisherman cast for crappie like we do for bass and what are the setups? Curious about lures and also what rod/reel! Lots of questions, lol. Any comments on this? Thanks.
    IMHO ... you just never know what they'll hit, until you fish with it.

I've caught them trolling cranks (for Hybrid Stripers), casting a 4" plastic craw (for Bass), seen them caught on 1/2oz Spinnerbaits (partner Bass fishing) ... as well as trolling cranks or jigs for them.
    I'm reminded of a time when my partner & I were told that the Crappie, at this lake we fish, were hitting 4" twin tail grubs trolled at the mouths of the creeks. We got there a week later and caught all our fish on 1/16oz marabou Roadrunners, casting to the banks with downed trees.

For decades I've caught Crappie on 1.5" to 2" tubes/grubs/minnow shaped plastics or 1/32 & 1/16oz marabou Roadrunners, using UL equipment and 4lb test line. I just recently, in the last few years, have gone to 6lb test line & lite to med/lite equipment. My catch rate hasn't changed ... which tells me that it isn't my equipment that's the prime factor, it's finding the fish & presenting that bait to them in such a way that they want to eat it.

Pretty much any lite to UL spinning outfit will work for casting jigs for Crappie, and I even use some of my med-med/lite Bass spinning outfits. I'm currently using a 6'6" fast action rod & 6lb test hi-vis copoly line ... casting a 1/32 or 1/16oz weedless jig head with a minnow shaped or stinger shad style plastic body. I cast out ... raise my rod tip to about a 45deg angle ... very slowly reel back in ... watching my line for any sudden jump, movement off to one side or the other, or instant slack (when knowing the jig can't be on bottom) ... and when I "see" any such line movement, I set the hook fast/hard. This is what I call "swimming a jig", and is the method I use the most when casting for Crappie. I can usually crawl that jig over limbs & brush, whenever my jig happens to come in contact with them (or when I "make" them do that).

When I'm "shooting docks" .... everything is the same as casting, except for "how" the jig is cast out. And I usually follow up with what I call Vertical Casting, which is explained in this article I wrote : Crappie Pappy Article And I also use this method when the cover I'm fishing won't allow casting to it.

... cp
    Likes livemusic, Tom 513 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CrappiePappy View Post

... which tells me that it isn't my equipment that's the prime factor, it's finding the fish & presenting that bait to them in such a way that they want to eat it.

... cp
    Dang it.....there goes another one of my lame excuses...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast