Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 225 Mercury Opti-Max

Post Thanks / Like

Default 225 Mercury Opti-Max

Looking for any problems that the 1999 mercury 225 opti max might have had. Looking at a boat that has one on it with about 350 hours. Some have told me they had lot's of problems. Please let me know if you have any experience with one of these. Thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like

If you want a boat that will crank when you get to the lake, buy something else.

Post Thanks / Like

DON'T DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shadboy View Post
    If you want a boat that will crank when you get to the lake, buy something else.
    So your saying they have a big problem with starting. Have you had any other problems. Other's please reply with your experiences with this motor.

Post Thanks / Like

I dont know, but these 2 previous post ought to be enough to scare you off brother. Did you see all those exclamation points?

Post Thanks / Like

Their nickname is "OPTI-BOMB"

Among other things they are notorious for issues associated with the coil packs. They also had issues where an alarm would go off for no reason and throw no codes. It happened enough to where the owners actually started ignoring the alarms and then, there really was an issue and... boom!

Many issues are associated with the impeller. Although people (including marinas) were changing the impeller regularly, many of them (including Marinas) were not aware of a pre filter that must be cleaned. I watched one marina install a new impeller, got the boat home, looked at the screen and it was full. Called them back and they had never heard of it!!!! Lots of online posts about it. Pre-filer (or screen) ends up getting clogged causing insuficiant suction water to be pulled into the motor. It will send an alarm however it will not show much on the computer codes.

I believe, if memory serves me, they also had issues with the oil injection. A lot of guys (I think there is a thread on this in the mechanics corner) were removing the injection bottles and actually mixing their gas!!
    I have OCD "Obsessive Crappie Disorder"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gofish View Post
    So your saying they have a big problem with starting. Have you had any other problems. Other's please reply with your experiences with this motor.
    I sent you a pm.

Post Thanks / Like

Please, Don't do it!

Post Thanks / Like

Mine would seize a piston about every 20 or 30 minutes of running time. It did it 6 times, while I owned it, at about $8000 a pop. One time it hand grenaded and there was a wrist pin fell down into the foot and destroyed the lower unit. Mine was brand new and under warranty. Don't do it! Buy the boat if you want, but negotiate the price down so that you can afford to repower it.

Post Thanks / Like

I have 2000 opti 200 hp and no problems, same hours as yours. Never know what to believe!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast