Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Cable drive or power drive

Post Thanks / Like

Default Cable drive or power drive

I just got a smoking deal on a bass boat and it has a cable drive trolling motor. All I have EVER used is a minn kota power drive. I spider rig 90% of the time. What's your experience rigging with a cable drive? I'm trying to decide if I should just buy a Power drive.

Post Thanks / Like

I have yet to used a power drive. From what I have read the cable drive are faster to change directions. I jug fish sometimes and to chase down a big catfish you need to be able to change direction quickly. I like the idea of the power drive having just a small wire going to the head and not a stiff cable but don't know if I would be happy with the slower responce time.
    The love for fishing is one of the best gifts you can pass along

Post Thanks / Like

for me it depends on the type of fishing. up in the brush jigging cable drive is better as it respond quicker, spider rigging power drive is better you don't wear out your foot and leg keeping it on the foot control to keep your direction. JMO wish I had 1 of each
    smiles are contagious, spread them around
    Proud Member of the ZIPPER Club
    & Team Geezer
    Likes Cmj, chaunc LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Ipilot is the way to go. If you want best of both worlds keep cable drive and get the quick release bracket. Literally can swap in 3 minutes.
    Likes wannabe fisherman, Boa3 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Operational wise i can't see why anyone would want a cable drive over a PD......When trolling 1/10th of a mph can make the difference in your catch ratio,
    I just don't have an issue with delayed response.

Couple things I don't like about the PD,
    Do not care for how it sticks out in front of the bow when stowed,
    Hate that there is not a ( good ) way to run transducer wire to foot,
    deploying and stowing seems awkward compared to a cable drive,
    Three can keep a secret................If two of them are dead! (Benjamin Franklin)
    Likes Specklocker LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Do both troll and fish brush, trollin is a pain w/cable,brush is a pain w/elect
    Likes Cmj, wannabe fisherman LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Never thought about a bracket and switching them out as needed. That is a great idea and should be doable.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with everyone else's responses. They each have their place for my styles of fishing. If I'm jigging or shooting docks I want a cable drive. You can't beat the response time. If I'm spiderriging I don't have any issues with a cable drive, but a powerdrive is nice if the fish want the bait moving. As far as trolling, a powerdrive is a must have. I can't half troll with my cable drive. Mainly because it's not variable speed. The lowest speed setting is too fast with with fully charge batteries. I've got a 18' Ranger with a 70# thrust motorguide. It's probably a bit much motor for my boat, but it comes in handy in windy conditions.
    Hooking up every chance I get!

Post Thanks / Like

Love my Terrova I-Pilot, and the anchor/spot lock feature, can park outside weed lines and cast all day.
    *¿* To old to work.....To young to Die.

chaunc is offline 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Just had this conversation yesterday with MR DUX. He uses electric while I have cable. My style of fishing is totally different from his but both motor styles work for us. He trolls, I hang glide. My style , you need quick response time. His, well he's never even used his foot control. Our styles work for us. If all you plan to use your motor for is trolling, get the electric steer (PD). It also allows you to spotlock a position when you want to one pole or two pole a brushpile. I wont trade my cable steer for one tho.