Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about spawn

Post Thanks / Like

Default Question about spawn

I fished several places yesterday that I had been consistently catching some at but it just seemed to have died down. Was up in the creeks and even walked the bank back in there further no luck. Finally found some males in a cove with Christmas trees. They hadn't started fanning because fins were still perfect but my question is where are the females? I had been catching them up in the creeks and it's like they vanished.. Will they move back out deep? I am stuck on the bank so it's a little hard sometimes... Here is a pic of the fish they def are darkening up
    for the spawn... Seems like the fish have a period of a couple weeks every spring where I have trouble finding them...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry for upside down pic

M R Dux is offline Crappie.com Legend , 2018 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I would say the females are staging in slightly deeper water. Any idea what the water temp is?
    www.crappie-gills-n-more.com
    Podunk Ideas Pro Staff /test platform
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Excel Boats Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Those look the ones I got today. But where hiding under 20 inches of ice.

Post Thanks / Like

I have no clue didn't see any boats near me or would have asked the water temp. We have been having 70 degree days and a few days ago it poured the rain and where I was bank fishing is under water I don't think I could even fish it with chest waders. So I went further up the creek which I figured they might have gone up before it rained but no luck. Just thought of this cove I saw game and fish loading up with trees in winter time and luckily there was a little are to bank fish still. I made mental notes of some structure at the mouth of the cove that I believe to be around 12ft deep right now... 14 count down on 1/24 got me to the bottom but varying retrieves netted no fish. We caught the ones we caught right beside of the trees... I was trying to fish he deeper entrance of the cove first along with that point that I know has a few trees on it... Sorry for being so long winded these jokers just puzzle me. Bee you got some nice looking crappie your way... Crazy you still have ice to deal with

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

My guess would be that the females you "were" catching, were shallow before because they were on the pre-spawn feeding run .... and now they've moved out to their staging spots, waiting on the males to make beds and for the water temps & conditions to stabilize within the range of their offspring's survival conditions.

Or you could have simply been fishing shallow when the females had already left the shallows, or had not yet returned to the shallows, if they're still on a feeding run.

Since the males have to find a suitable spot, make the bed, then wait for the females to make up their minds when to come in ... they'll be shallow most of the time, before/during/after the spawning ritual. The females, on the other hand, just need to eat to get their strength up and develop the eggs until they're ready to lay, then move in/out during the spawning procedure and drop a portion of those eggs into various beds. They don't stay in the bedding area all that long, but will move back out to their staging area & rest before each move back to the next bed/beds they deem fit for the best chance of survival of their offspring.

... cp
    Likes RMGeorge LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Lots of times, when lakes rise quickly, the lake managers start releasing water quickly. Crappies don't like to spawn in those conditions because if the lake continues to fall, the eggs may be stranded. After a day or two of stable lake levels, they will be right back on the banks. Those males are ready to go, so the females will be as well. The key during the spawn is to have a hook in the water as often as you can, because the females race in to the bank, lay some eggs, and race right back out to deeper water. They move from one male to the next laying some eggs with each one. Try throwing a jig/bobber combo out over some of those sunken trees. Have the jig about 3' below the bobber....but experiment with depth up and down. Very slow retrieves. Stick with it.

Post Thanks / Like

AS CRAPPIEPAPA SAID,EVERY YEAR THE FEMALE MOVE IN BACK OF CREEKS TO FEED ,NOT TO SPAWN, THEN THEY PULL OUT A LITTLE WAYS AND MALES THEN FINDS POCKETS FOR SPAWNING BEDS AND AT THE RIGHT TIME THE FEMALES MOVE IN AND OUT TO LAY EGGS,MANY GET IT MIXED UP THINKING THE FEMALE FIRST MOVE IN TO SPAWN BUT NOT SO ,THEY MOVE IN TO EAT SHADS THAT MOVE IN TO SPAWN,THAT WHAT THEY ARE DOING IN VA. AT BUGGS NOW AND PROBABLY WHERE U ARE AT ALSO,WATER IN 60'S
    God Demonstrated his love for us. Romans 5:8

Post Thanks / Like

We just came through a bit of a cold front in the last few days and when went out today I they were not where they were at the beginning of the week. As I fished the shallow shoreline I was catching all males. When I drifted through the channel, still very shallow but not a foot or two deep like the where the males were I started catching females. I also drifted the main river channel just outside the shallow bays in twelve feet of water I caught a few heavy females suspended 4 feet off the bottom.

Post Thanks / Like

how far will those females travel in & out of shallow water to deep water ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast