Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jig heads and hooks

Post Thanks / Like

Default Jig heads and hooks

I am having a problem with hooks being too small. The question is what size hook for what size tube jigs. I already know that I want 1/16 insert jig heads. So which Matzuo hook would work best in 2" as well as the smaller 1 1/2" tube jigs I would like the hooks to work in both. Would #1 or #2 Matzuo hooks be best the heads I have been using where #4 hooks and I have been losing a lot of the bigger fish and I am having to keep smaller fish that swallowed the jigs and hooks. Another question is the Matzuo hooks look bigger is wire size and hook size about like the aberdeens and are they really that much better. And also are they a rule of thumb for what size hooks for what size tube and other jigs. Thanks for your help.
    Be safe and good luck fishing

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scrat View Post
    I am having a problem with hooks being too small. The question is what size hook for what size tube jigs. I already know that I want 1/16 insert jig heads. So which Matzuo hook would work best in 2" as well as the smaller 1 1/2" tube jigs I would like the hooks to work in both. Would #1 or #2 Matzuo hooks be best the heads I have been using where #4 hooks and I have been losing a lot of the bigger fish and I am having to keep smaller fish that swallowed the jigs and hooks. Another question is the Matzuo hooks look bigger is wire size and hook size about like the aberdeens and are they really that much better. And also are they a rule of thumb for what size hooks for what size tube and other jigs. Thanks for your help.
    Scrat .... I used to use 1/32 & 1/16oz jig heads with #4 Aberdeens when using 1.5" hollow tubes. I had to keep "pulling the skirt up" or gluing the tube to the jig head, so I went to solid body tubes. When I progressed to using 2" plastics (solid stinger shad shaped) I was afraid the #4 hook would not have enough gap, so I had my 1/32 & 1/16oz jig heads made with #2 Aberdeens. Problem solved. If I were to consider using plastics over 2.5", then I might go so far as to have my jig heads made with #1 Aberdeens.

And, yes ... I have all of my jig heads custom made. I don't purchase jig heads off the shelf, as they usually have the small hooks .... & the weedguards (on the weedless style) are not always anchored very well.

BPS sells their unpainted ballhead fiber brush weedguard style jigs for ~ $0.37 each
    I get mine custom made with choice of hook size, hook color, weedguard style & color, from Grousefly for ~ $0.20 each

Usually in these two styles :

Fiber brush (top) ... Y shaped plastic guard (bottom)

Jigs shown are 1/16oz with #2 gold Aberdeen hooks.

... cp
    Likes scrat LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I buy ball head 1/32 and 1/16 with red #2 Matzou sickle hooks. I love them. Good hook up and strong. I did bend one out the other day on a very large flat head. The fish got wrapped in the anchor line and managed to straighten the hook out. I have caught some large fish and that was the first time I have had one bend.
    The love for fishing is one of the best gifts you can pass along

Post Thanks / Like

I will have to check out Grousefly next time I need jig heads.
    The love for fishing is one of the best gifts you can pass along

Post Thanks / Like

Scrat , you can't go wrong with the #2 sickle on a 1/32-1/8. They are tough and durable and do catch better than the smaller ones in my opinion. I have not had any issues with straightening hooks. I usually get hung and lose the jig before I can pull it free by straightening the hook. Mine break off before they bend. I even use the #2 for the new Bobby Garland 1" Itty Bitty Swimmr's and they work well!
    USAF Retired and fishing!

Post Thanks / Like

I make all my 1/32 oz jigs with #4 or #2 hooks (Combination of both) depending on what I am fishing with. All of my 1/16oz jigs are #2 or #1 hooks. All of my 1/8oz are #1 or 1/0 hooks. All are Eagle Claw Lil nasty sickle hooks.
    I have OCD "Obsessive Crappie Disorder"

Post Thanks / Like

The old saying"I have been there and done that" is always better than I tried and it didn't work. This will save me( $ ) from buying something and that would not work. Not bragging on Mississippi's crappie but they are some big crappie here. A lot of people (and fishing tackle companies) don't realise that a 12"-17" crappie they have mouths just about the size of large mouth bass. I have been having to keep some small crappie that would have been threw back but they swallowed the small jig hooks and would not have lived. Thanks now I know the bigger hooks # 1/0, #1, and #2 will work in both 1 1/2" and 2" jigs. I have used #2/0 eagle claw and mustad gold aberdeen hooks with medium size minnows for years. Now I am trying more and more with artificial bait. So I will be reading and probably asking more questions from all you "been there done that" crappie fishermen.
    Be safe and good luck fishing

Post Thanks / Like

Scratch if you use the Sickles in any size I think you will be pleased. I like #4 but anything from a #6 to a #2 works well. I use all for different things.

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I like the gap of sickle hooks, but not the tiny barb. But, that's just me.

I've "lift landed" Crappie over 2lbs on #2 Aberdeen hooks (whether in jigs or by themselves), and have not yet lost a fish to the hook bending open. And I've caught many a Crappie that was merely "hung" by the hook point/barb in the membrane of the mouth (not in the roof of the mouth) and not lost them upon landing.

Now, I will say, I do have & have used jigs with sickle hooks ... & caught fish on them. So I'm not saying that Aberdeens are "better" than sickle hooks. I'm just confident that the Aberdeens will work, and have worked, for me ... so I see no major reason to change.

... cp
    Likes scrat, Warrensburger LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

That tiny barb is the reason I use sickle hooks. Every year I somehow manage to sink a hook into my finger. With a sickle hook I just press against the hook and it slips right out of finger. When I do it with a Aberdeen hook it just plain hurts to remove. That is my reason for sickle hooks.
    Bruce

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast