Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mud and the spawn?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Mud and the spawn?

We are dealing with torrential rain right now,all of our lakes are horribly muddy.How much does extremely muddy water affect the spawn if at all.
    For that matter,if water stays muddy ( not stained) ,but muddy,how much does it hinder normal activity?

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yaker View Post
    We are dealing with torrential rain right now,all of our lakes are horribly muddy.How much does extremely muddy water affect the spawn if at all.
    For that matter,if water stays muddy ( not stained) ,but muddy,how much does it hinder normal activity?
    It's my understanding that Black Crappie prefer clear water, so they would wait until it cleared up and spawn if the water hadn't gotten too warm by then.

White Crappie prefer murky water, but not "muddy" water, so they would wait until it settled to the point of not being "muddy" (but still murky) and spawn if the water hadn't gotten too warm by then.

I think of "muddy" water as if you took a jar and dipped some up ... you couldn't see light through the jar. But, "murky" water as dirty water that you could see light through the jar. Both muddy & murky water is brown, while "stained" water still looks green in the lake, but fairly clear in the jar.

... cp
    Likes Crestliner08, scrat, Cardsfan55 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Oh,I'm talking muddy,not stained.You say if the water hasn't gotten too warm to spawn by the time the water clears to whatever optimal degree that is,does that indicate the crappie fail to spawn if the water fails to clear while the temps are ideal for the spawn?
    Perhaps the water temps will slow and remain within the magical spawn range,then when the water clears ( later than normal this year) the spawn will kick in.If this is true,is it logical to state,some years the spawn is either canceled,or greatly reduced due to less than ideal conditions?

Post Thanks / Like

Good question Yaker, We are getting quite the frog strangler here as well and was going to give it a go this whole weekend. Looking forward to some feedback on this from the folks in the know.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yaker View Post
    Oh,I'm talking muddy,not stained.You say if the water hasn't gotten too warm to spawn by the time the water clears to whatever optimal degree that is,does that indicate the crappie fail to spawn if the water fails to clear while the temps are ideal for the spawn?
    Perhaps the water temps will slow and remain within the magical spawn range,then when the water clears ( later than normal this year) the spawn will kick in.If this is true,is it logical to state,some years the spawn is either canceled,or greatly reduced due to less than ideal conditions?
    Yes ... if the water remains muddy while the temps increase past the maximum safe point for egg/fry survival, there is a chance that the fish will not spawn. They instinctively know when the safe point has been passed, and the survival of their offspring is in jeopardy. They will absorb the eggs/milt for their own nourishment, rather than expel them in unfavorable conditions.

The spawn can be affected by water level changes, temp changes, water clarity conditions, and other factors. The fish will try, and keep trying, to spawn ... even in a narrow window of opportunity ... but, their instincts tell them it's better to absorb the egg/milt protein and survive themselves, than to waste it by losing it to conditions that are not conducive to the survival of their offspring.
    The "conditions" dictate whether or not a spawn occurs, or if it does occur (wholly or partially), then to what extent the offspring have a chance at surviving.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

If the water is muddy the crappie will be right on the banks! And if its realy really muddy they will get so close to the banks thier fins will being close to sticking out of the water, in like inches deep. Clearer the water the deeper they spawn. This is what I have observed myself, not speaking for anyone else. I Have a muddy reservoir and when water gets spawning temp they get in such shallow water you can see them. And I have another reservoir that is crystal clear and those fish spawn in 6-10 foot of water. I hope I helped with my opinion.

Post Thanks / Like

Think of the eggs like a flower. It needs the right amount of sunlight..... but not too much, and not too little.

Post Thanks / Like

Well dang,if it doesn't clear up soon ( it's still down pouring ) the spawn may not go well.

Post Thanks / Like

Just like lowepro said. If the water is rising the crappie will move up with it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LowePro View Post
    If the water is muddy the crappie will be right on the banks! And if its realy really muddy they will get so close to the banks thier fins will being close to sticking out of the water, in like inches deep. Clearer the water the deeper they spawn. This is what I have observed myself, not speaking for anyone else. I Have a muddy reservoir and when water gets spawning temp they get in such shallow water you can see them. And I have another reservoir that is crystal clear and those fish spawn in 6-10 foot of water. I hope I helped with my opinion.
    Great advice.
    For a full line of fluid beds
    soft plastic, jig heads and more see us at

www.simplycrappie.com

http://stores.ebay.com/Simply-Crappie

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast